several problems-- - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
several problems--

1. Just happened today. It's been raining all day. When I park my car on a slight incline it usually rolls back once I release the e-brake and put it in neutral, but today it did not. The first time it didn't budge I lurched it so to speak which worked, and I heard a "crack-like" sound as the wheels became 'freed' from what I don't know (got rusted in the rain???) and then the car rolled back per usual. It then happened again and I had to lurch the car to 'unlock' the wheels. The third time it happened the car would not budge at all. So I turned it on and put it in reverse (to go backward down the hill) and there was resistance as if the e-brake was on or something under the wheel like a wood block or something. With fair amount of gas it finally gave... and i heard the 'crack-sound' of the wheels getting freed again, like the tin-man all siezed up or something. Why did this happen today???? strange.... lotsa rain....

2. smell of exhaust inside the car. I had the muffler replaced but still smelling it. The rear window is closed properly, but the rubber lining thing on the back gate is coming loose.. could this be allowing a small hole to allow exhaust inside the car? Most of the time the smell isn't much noticeable, but when I drive up a steep hill it is undeniable. Any ideas on how exhaust is getting into the cabin would be helpful. This has been going on for a few months now. Today the windows were up (lots of rain) but still smell the exhaust. Smell it just as much if not more when the windows are rolled down a little.

3. Might the problem of the engine stalling right after starting it (when it's warm) when the gas tank is low along with the exhaust smell in the car be a related problem?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
Registered Member

It sounds like issue #1 may be a sticking e-brake or caliper. How much resistance does the e-brake have when you put it on? Jack up the rear of the car and spin the rear tires by hand. Then put the brake on until they cannot spin. Then take the brake off. See if they spin freely again.

Problem #2 sounds like an exhaust leak. Hondas are notoriously sensitive to these. When they have an exhaust leak or a pinched exhaust (my brother bottomed out his Accord, nearly flattening his pipe), they run like crap. They make no power and the mileage plummets. They can also smell like a Shell station. It would not surprise me if it would cause stalling, too. Have you noticed any additional noise in the cabin?

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Fetch. It's possible there is additional noise in the cabin, but the car has never been very quiet. I think I have had some minor bottom outs. I did do donuts and such in deep snow during this passed winter.

It only stalls when the gas tank is low and when I turn the car on after 5-20 minutes (when it's warm). It never stalls while I'm driving or idling. It only stalls after I turn the car off, wait 5-20 minutes, then turn the car on again. It will turn on and then immediately stall. The 'exhaust leak' is my biggest concern atm. Oh, I should also mention I do hear something in the back wheels. Sounds like some kind of brake drag or such; a 'khhhhhhhh' sound. Not always, just at initial reversing.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
It only stalls after I turn the car off, wait 5-20 minutes, then turn the car on again.
Do 5th gen Civics have the same Main Relay problems as 4th gens? A no-start condition once warm is generally a failed relay solder joint in '88-91 models.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
It sounds like issue #1 may be a sticking e-brake or caliper. How much resistance does the e-brake have when you put it on? Jack up the rear of the car and spin the rear tires by hand. Then put the brake on until they cannot spin. Then take the brake off. See if they spin freely again.
I'm pretty sure you're right that it's the e-brake. I parked today with the e-brake off and it did not stick when I left work today. It was quite resistant this morning going to work tho. The "khhhhhh" sound only happens when I press the brake pedal, not when I'm coasting.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

That happened to me. After having the parking brake engaged all night the rear brakes would stick in the morning. The rear drums have a plug in them. Mine was missing. Over time mine started to rust on the inside a little bit and stick. I took it apart and dumped a bunch of grease in the appropriate areas and the problem disappeared.
seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

As far as your second prob. I had an STD hatch. When some one busted my back window, driving down the highway would have your eyes burning. The aero of the car causes the air to loop from the top and bottom to loop and hit the back of the car.
seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeodywhy View Post
As far as your second prob. I had an STD hatch. When some one busted my back window, driving down the highway would have your eyes burning. The aero of the car causes the air to loop from the top and bottom to loop and hit the back of the car.
I used to only have the exhaust fumes problem in the cabin when the window wasn't properly closed (and thus exhaust getting in as you described). Now it happens near all the time. I guess my next question is, what's it gonna take to fix....

Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

1. brought the car to a mechanic and he said it probably doesn't have an exhaust leak, but rather there is a hole somewhere letting the exhaust in.

2. My glass rear lid suddenly won't close. I can't see anything that is blocking it. It worked yesterday but not today. Now the fumes are even worse!! Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
1. brought the car to a mechanic and he said it probably doesn't have an exhaust leak, but rather there is a hole somewhere letting the exhaust in.

2. My glass rear lid suddenly won't close. I can't see anything that is blocking it. It worked yesterday but not today. Now the fumes are even worse!! Any ideas?

Thanks

If your rear hatch is not closing properly, exhaust is being pulled into the rear window from the tail pipe. If you solve the closing problem and make certain the gasket around the hatch window is sealed, then you probably will have taken care of the issue.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote