Tired of your automagical shifting?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Tired of your automagical shifting??

Here's something I found interesting.....http://awshifting.com/apps.htm

I found this when doing some research on TC lockup on my Jeep.....apparently this system has been adapted to work on Hondas and the like. Sing out with your opinions!!

*edit*
Link supplied is to the applications page....if you're looking for more in-depth info, try a google search for "AW4 triptronic" There's pages upon pages of discussion on numerous Jeep boards....but the same concept can probably be adapted to work on *most* auto trannies

Old 06-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

Great find. There has been a lot of discussion of this topic on GasSavers but I have yet to see where anything substantial has been done.

Every automatic owner genuinely interested in better FE needs to be checking this out. The simpler, cheaper switches should work just fine.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
I *may* be making this conversion to my Jeep. I just don't know exactly how I'm going to do it yet.....but if it ever gets done, I'll get some kind of write-up done.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Raccoonjoe -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoonjoe View Post
I *may* be making this conversion to my Jeep. I just don't know exactly how I'm going to do it yet.....but if it ever gets done, I'll get some kind of write-up done.
Woweee!!!!! This really looks good :

Frequently Asked Questions:
http://awshifting.com/faq.htm
Quote:
Why would I want manual control?
If you have to ask, you probably don't need. Although I love many aspects of automatic transmissions I have a strong dislike for when they choose to shift. On a steep grade they seem to never choose a gear they want to stay in. Offroad they shift at the most inoportune time. For maximum acceleration they often shift too early. Around town they go to overdrive far too quickly. They don't use the torque convertor lock to it's full potential. Using the floor shifter can help some, but it does nothing to prevent unwanted downshifting, and some like the Jeep AW4 don't have a position for 2nd gear. The bottom line is I like to drive the vehicle, not let it drive me; if you can identify with that statement you will love one of these shifters, if not, don't worry about it and have a nice day.

Does it really give total control? When I put it in 3rd, will it go to 2nd and 1st as I slow down?
When in the manual mode, it gives FULL control. The transmission will go only to the gear you select and will remain there until you select another or go back to auto.

Are there any potentially harmful effects on the transmission?
None. This controller controls the electronic shift solenoids in the same way the factory computer does and so the transmission is simply obeying those signals like it always does without any clue that the signals are coming from a controller rather than the factory computer. However like a manual transmission there is the possibility of shifting wrong; just like a manual, don't shift into 1st gear at 70mph or try starting from a stop in 4th gear.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Sweet

If this does what it claims to do (while being cost-efficient and doesn't shorten the life of the AT over what I'm doing already), then

RH77