Tranny oil change using the return line - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
Registered Member

Hi civiv_matic_00:

We both drive the same car! I've changed my transmission fluid twice. All you do is remove the drain bolt and out pours 2.5 quarts of ATF. Wipe off the bolt, which has a magnetic filter on it, and screw her back in. Add 2.5 quarts of Honda Genuine ATF and you'll be good to go.

Yes, I realize that this method of changing fluid is like "taking a **** without wiping your ***" because you aren't changing it all at once. Capacity is 6 quarts. Therefore if you stay on top of it you should be fine.

For me, I am scheduled to change it every 15,000 miles versus the 30,000 mile interval recommended by Honda.

Although when I bought my car it had 70,000 miles on it. I sent a transmission oil sample to Blackstone Labs at 80,000 miles and got results saying that it still had the original ATF in it. :O

So, I changed the fluid at 80,000. And again at 85,000. Next time I am going to change is at 95,000. Then 110,000. Which will start the 15,000 mile change interval.

The filter inside the transmission is not serviceable either, or at least according to the Parts guy at the Honda Dealership and Alldatadiy.com

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Alex

My Ride
aburk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #22
Registered Member

Re: Tranny oil change using the return line

hmmmm just a thought... Why wouldnt 2 milk jugs or bottles.. One filled with new fluid and one empty... Pull both lines off... Stick the return in one and the feed in the other... They will have to have some kindof suction on it from the tranny pump so.. One will be pushing old fluid out and the other one pulling new fluid in..Just a thought... Dont know much about auto trannys.... Only deal with manuals......

trmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

trmclaren, I'm pretty sure that's the usual way to do it, though I suspect that people use gallon ATF bottles and common drain pans instead of milk jugs.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #24

AMSOIL makes the best fluids period.. I have 350000 kms on my truck that I bought new in 99 and haven't had a breakdown yet... No oil consumption whatsoever and change at 10000 kms... Tranny fluid at 50000... Fluids are cheap in comparison to mechanical breakdowns.... Seafoam is also amazing and does exactly what the label says it does... Follow directions..... Seafoam and AMSOIL for the win
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Ah! This old thread reminded me to post about my recent experience with this technique.

1. I disconnected the return line from the top of the radiator. Mine disconnected by pulling out something similar to an E-clip and merely pulling the hardline out. There is a flare nut fitting but it is seized (I think on purpose). I imagine that removable flare nut fittings are more common.

2. I connected a rubber hose to the radiator using a short piece of hardline as a fitting. If you unscrewed your flare nut you can buy a plastic fitting at Home Depot whose threads may not fit, but since it's plastic you can just force it and the threads will submit.

3. I started the engine and let it pump out about a gallon into a spring water jug before shutting down. Any more than a gallon and it would start to gurgle.

4. I put a gallon into the normal dipstick/fill tube.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the fluid comes out clean. Maybe shift through the various gear selections.

6. Put it all back together and top it off.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #26
Registered Member

Great idea using a consistent loss/replacement method so as not to under/over fill.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
Banned

Nice one! I will gonna do that one when I am change the oil again. Cool yeah!
intropiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #28
Registered Member

Why are you or any one here changing the fluid in the first place, site technical reasons and sources please!
naturalextraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Because the fluid gets dirty and worn out...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #30
Registered Member

The owner's manual is a good source.
It isn't required as often as oil, but it is a requirement.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote