Transmission fluid? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Transmission fluid?

Coolant level and oil level have not changed at all over the course of 2300 miles. But now when I open the hood of the car I see a lot of oily fluid on the transmission. Also, the temp gauge climbed higher than it normally does for a short period after 135 mile drive to Brooklyn. Turning the heat on immediately brought it back to normal, but I shouldn't have to run the heat in the winter to keep my car at temp, no?! What if it was summer and hot and I was running the A/C? I'll upload a picture soon.

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...0;src=postname

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

Take another pic farther back also. And change the thermostat I like to do that on all new to me autos unless I know when it was changed and spend the $ and get a good one you don't want it to fail and cook it right. My vx is about to go to speed for the winter. That looks like it came from the distributor but another pic please.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Rusty:

think my friend and I might have done a sloppy job when we changed the cap and rotor?

What does "go to speed for the winter" mean?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Go to sleep. Mine needs both axle seals it looks nothing like that. There is a little spray but it cant get up there. You Didn't do a sloppy job there is an oring in there. Doing the cap amd rotor onless you removed the dizzy lucky timing. Use some brake cleaner and clean it up and confirm. It's either the dist or the valve cover. Both are common. Over the winter I hope to new suspension bushings all around lower 1-2 inches belly pan new axles and seals. And finish adding intermittent wipers. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
It takes a very small amount of oil to make it look wet like that and I agree a thermostat needs checking or you have an air pocket in your cooling system. Test the thermostat in a pan of boiling water with a cooking thermometer and watch when it opens, even new ones may open at the wrong temperature.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

anyone think I'll make it across country in this car? I'm supposed to leave early on the Dec. 27th.

I bought a Stant 45877 SuperStat Thermostat - 170 Degrees Fahrenheit: http://www.amazon.com/Stant-45877-Su...=pd_sim_auto_3

But now I learn you have to buy the seal (gasket?) and radiator cap with the product. So now I have this thermostat my friend is bringing to my house from the advance autoparts 50 minutes away. I don't think it's a good idea to only replace the thermostat and not the seal or cap. What do you think?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That little bit of mess shouldn't be enough to worry about, IMO...but the overheating is definitely a concern.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

well, I don't think it's a blown head gasket.

Automotive Tips: Five Signs of a Blown Head Gasket - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

No you must have the gasket only time I wouldn't if it was an emergency roadside repair. It's an o ring that is slit in the middle but not all the way through. In a pinch you can reuse your old but you are taking serious risk. Yea that little oil is nothing to worry bout. Like stated earlier worry about the overheating. It could have just been a fluke as always just always keep an eye on fluid levels and the gauges. If your passing through Ohio you could stop by and deliver those wheels. Lol. Good luck. Take a quart of oil a funnel and a gallon of undiluted coolant and a gallon of water. You won't need them if you have them. If not you will good luck. I'ld drive it to Alaska and back.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Haha, nice Rusty. Well, I'm sorry sir, but I sold true blue for my asking price of $700 tonight. Sorta sad to see the baby go. I was (am) really fond of that car.

I'm not sure what you are talking about the 'o ring'. You mean the thermostat gasket?