Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc AT Fluid - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
If you're having problems after 30,000 miles since the last flush I doubt you are having problems from worn out fluid unless there's other problems in the tranny. Certainly the first thing to do is to have the tranny flushed, and if you still have problems you may need a new torque converter.
Well, I don't believe he flushed it, so there would be the majority of the old fluid still in there, right? I'm not sure but I recall the Haynes manual recommending NOT to flush one of the Stratus' transmissions, but forgot which engine/year range.

I'm going to call my sister and see what kind of transmission service intervals they did, if any. Wouldn't be surprised if they've had none. I figured it could potentially help it long-term. What effect does tranny flush have on the torque converter?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Registered Member

Also, make sure they used the correct trans fluid for that car. IIRC, most Mopars from about '89 on used ATF+4. But check owners manual. Apparently there are people out there who do trans service jobs who have put in other types of fluid, usually with sad results.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Some fluids are just unavailable anymore. My Buick is supposed to use Dextron !!, but I have Dextron iV fluid in it. No problems.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hmm, after reading I don't think this is the one I'd use for my car. MaxLife has a product for 'Stop Leak' compatible with ATF+4, but it doesn't seem to support Chrysler ATF replacement for the Dex/Merc here.

And all of the 'Castrol, store brand' ATF+4 still available have a "change every 15k miles" labeled info for my car.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

Re: Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc AT Fluid

My wife's 88 Prelude SI had a transmission overhaul at around 30,000 miles. All the clutches were worn to metal. It drove like an old GM 2-speed.

I insisted the overhauler install Amsoil ATF and oil analysis says that fluid is still good for continued use......after going 100,000 miles.

Go to the Amsoil website and use the; "I Need Products For..." and learn what is best for yours.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Some fluids are just unavailable anymore. My Buick is supposed to use Dextron !!, but I have Dextron iV fluid in it. No problems.
Dex II is old. You must have an older Buick. The Dex fluids are reverse compatable so you should be fine. (most newer fluids are so you can put Dex IV in a Dex II system but not vice-versa ....or you can use ATF+4 in an ATF+3 system but not vice-versa......etc)

Trannies are finneky. Generally speaking you need to use whatever the mfg recommends for your vehicle tranny. People sometimes put the wrong stuff in and then later have tranny problems and blame it on the tranny.

The Val Max Life mentioned by the OP is good stuff as long as it is applicable to your vehicle/tranny. Valvoline products are good.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
General Motors DID NOT license for production a DEXRON IV(Notice there is no letter T in DEXRON)! The fluid spec went from Dexron III to the new Dexron VI in 2006. Dexron VI is fully compatable with all GM automatic Transmissions that specify a Dexron fluid. Dexron VI is far superior to the old Dexron III.
The Factory Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

Well, I guess I misspelled it. and I guess I needed to pay more attention to the bottle. Still, I'm not using what the book called for, because its not available anymore.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Some non-GM manufacturers specified Dexron III and have NOT approved their old transmissions for Dexron VI. Some reportedly have problems with the more viscous Dexron VI. When trying to decide what to use be sure to research your vehicle...or just keep buying Dexron III. GM doesn't test or license the Dexron III name anymore but it's not like there's any reason for manufacturers to suddenly start marking bottles of random garbage as Dexron III; they were already producing it and they'll mostly just keep producing the same thing.

I use SuperTech Dexron III and it works great.