what is in my vx??? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

what is in my vx???

ok guys here is what I have found out, I replaced the speed sensor in my kids 93 dx hatch and had ordered one for my 92 vx as the shop I ordered from said they are the same. installed the 93 all is good then i went to my vx and it is NOT the same! when I took it out it hels on by one bolt and after looking at pics it appears to be out of a 96 to 2001 civic? does this mean my tranny is from a 96 or newer civic? would this explain 2600 at 65mph not the lower as expected rpms of a vx tranny? who can solve this ongoing mystery... and what is the best place to get a vx tranny? some racer says he has two of them but he admits he has know way of knowing if he has vx trannies? I did see a place out of cali that has totally rebiult trannys specific to vx's for 599 bucks thought that sounded a bit pricey... thanks

amaterasu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: what is in my vx???

You can spin the input shaft and watch the output shafts to "test" a transmission's gearing.

First jack up the driver's wheel of your car and put the car in 5th gear.

2. Spin the crankshaft pulley bolt counterclockwise precisely 10 revolutions.

3. Mark the tire and count the revolutions- accurately estimate the partial revolution that it ends up at.

4. Divide the tire's rotations by two (since you had one wheel on the ground) and compare this value to the one you get when you inspect an unknown transmission. You want the output shafts to go farther than your number for better mpg gearing.

Tips: Spinning the engine/input shaft 20 times will give you a more accurate number. If you have an old clutch disk, that can make spinning the transmission's input shaft easier- otherwise, bring a sharpie marker so you can mark the input and output shafts.

I used the above method when I purchased two CRX HF transmissions (to verify the gearing)

If you know the tire size and do all of the math, you can determine rpm at x mph in 5th gear on any mystery transmission.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

On the front of the transmission bell housing where it bolts to the engine (immediately left of the engine code that's stamped into the engine block, and below the radiator hose), there's a label with a barcode with letters and numbers. The VX/CX transmission is identified by the characters "J8B". I found this out back in 2007 when I was searching for a VX/CX tranny to swap into my '95 DX.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

I looked and my tranny has the code s40 then a list of numbers hmmmm so its not a vx tranny ? what could it be? thnaks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by cems70 View Post
On the front of the transmission bell housing where it bolts to the engine (immediately left of the engine code that's stamped into the engine block, and below the radiator hose), there's a label with a barcode with letters and numbers. The VX/CX transmission is identified by the characters "J8B". I found this out back in 2007 when I was searching for a VX/CX tranny to swap into my '95 DX.
amaterasu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

A quick google search indicates the S40 is a '96 - '00 Civic DX/LX transmission.