What should I do with my old VX? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
What should I do with my old VX?

I am torn as to what to do with my VX that I am retiring for my new one that I just bought. My current one has the following problems, but still gets great gas mileage and still runs 'great' (to my liking anyway).
  1. It burns/leaks oil.
    It burns/leaks coolant.
    The in cabin fan stopped working after sitting for two weeks.
    The clutch needs to be replaced? (There's some resistance when taking it out of 5th gear accompanied by a 'pop' sound. It does NOT pop out of 5th gear).
    The exhaust is loud (holes in it) and if you roll the windows down exhaust comes inside the cabin.
    The body is rusted in the usual spots and has been repaired with insulation foam (but seems to be holding for a remarkably long time).
    It passed inspection in July at a fairly lenient garage. However, it's up for inspection at the end of February because I drove from Feb. to July, 2012
    uninspected).
    Wheel bearing needs to be fixed immediately lest a wheel fall off.
    I don't think the car has a catalytic converter anymore.

So it sounds bad, but every day it fires right up and drives hundreds of miles at a time without a hitch, returning 55mpg regularly. It's still sporty and fun to drive and still plasters a smile across my face when it continues to do everything it was designed to do given all its problems. I never tire of the simple joy of the car seamlessly going into lean burn, holding it, and smoothly going out of lean burn to provide the necessary power when I need it. And it still handles great.

So the dilemma becomes: A) be realistic that the car is no longer worth putting money into and use it as a parts car. B) Acknowledge that the heart and soul of what makes this car special is still burning bright and therefor the car should be kept alive until the engine, transmission or body finally call it quits. My friend may buy the car from me for $500 but he is a little daunted by the laundry list of problems.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I would try to diagnose the oil and coolant issues before making that decision. Then again, what's the worst case scenario, a head gasket that's probably abnormally easy and inexpensive to replace?

Old 12-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

The car has had some overheating issues in the past. I've had other people tell me it's probably the head gasket.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

They eat head gaskets. I would worry about the overheating possibly warped head. The trans it's the 3rd gear usually is the one to go also the input shaft bearing. What parts do you need? Really do you have a place to house them? I'm in the same dilemma my cx while all that's wrong with it it 1 2 syncro being really knotchy only get first at a stop after putting in another gear first. The body is so far gone. It's nice to have a spare car in case something comes up but at the same time plates insurance storage. I'm sure you could part it out for a little bit of cash probably more than an outright sell but that's also work. I plan on driving old rusty at least through winter and then possibly I'll let her go hey 1000.$ for a 45 mile a gallon car that need nothing. I'll sit on it till I get my price. I got it for 500$. Shhh don't tell. Oh sell me the wheels.
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

you still haven't made an offer on the wheels--but i still haven't taken pictures (will take pictures right now actually).

Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

My friend who is very interested in keeping my car on the road is going to take it to his friend mechanic this Thursday to check it all out to see if it's worth keeping on the road (the main issues being the wheel bearing? and the exhaust problems). I'll have an update then on the status of true blue.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

It could always become an organ donor to save other lives. Ie swap car.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Registered Member

If you have the original vx wheels, I'd love too buy them! Let me know! Thanks
Wilcrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hey back off those if sold are my wheels. Lol.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

car sold for asking price of $700! I don't think it did have a blown head gasket as the engine is in good shape (power, fuel economy etc). Sad to see it go, but no sense in having two cars.