WOT shifting for autos - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
Registered Member

Hate to bring up something so old, but I thought it was interesting. If i'm getting it, we are looking to accelerate as hard as we can while staying in closed loop and shifting early?

I wouldn't mind helping to test this out since i have the manual "auto" feature in my RSX. Just wanna make sure I have the concept right, and wondering if anyone else has more info on their results.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
Hate to bring up something so old, but I thought it was interesting. If i'm getting it, we are looking to accelerate as hard as we can while staying in closed loop and shifting early?

I wouldn't mind helping to test this out since i have the manual "auto" feature in my RSX. Just wanna make sure I have the concept right, and wondering if anyone else has more info on their results.
Here's a thread on it.
What I found is that the numbers are so close that the way you accelerate is really not much of a factor. In a perfect world it might result is a very slight increase in FE but there are so many varibles dependending on traffic, lenght of runup till you stop again and slope that you really have to master all three accleration techniques to get the best possible FE. YMMV

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #23
Registered Member

If there is gonna be negligible difference WOT IT IS!

I tried driving around that way today. I got worse than my normal FE. But I made a bunch of short trips, with 2 bikes and the rack on the hitch, and A/C for the GF.

TOmmorow is wide open throttle day as I'll have my car at the track, but on monday its back to FE Driving for the daily commute. This tank of gas is gonna suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Here's a thread on it.
What I found is that the numbers are so close that the way you accelerate is really not much of a factor. In a perfect world it might result is a very slight increase in FE but there are so many varibles dependending on traffic, lenght of runup till you stop again and slope that you really have to master all three accleration techniques to get the best possible FE. YMMV

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #24
Registered Member

I think whether or not WOT shifting makes sense depends on the traffic pattern. If you are in stop and go traffic it is not going to work. You are going to spend lots of energy to get up to speed then have to stop soon anyways. OTOH, on the highway get up to cruising speed quickly so you can get your best economy more quickly.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote