Yaris Sedan auto getting 50mpg? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy1 View Post
Ok here is the link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcWd2f1sg5s at the buttom
it says, "It's not hypermiling, nor is it hype"

Plus hers alittle extra video.A Yaris that did 400,000 miles in less then 4 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTlNLz9Iqc
I dont know if this is real or not,or if he messed with the video or car to show that kind of
mileage. But With 11.1 gallon gas tank and if the guy was a hypermiling
(which i dont think he is with the fast take offs and 90mph+ that he does on the video)
doing 49.7 AVG MPG. is 551.67+ miles a Tank. That would be 725 fill ups or 8,048 gallons of
gas in less then 4 years. WOW!!
And with the national avg of $2.89/gallon He would have spent $22,259.56 on gas in less then
4 years or about $5,564.89 a year!
Again, I have no idea if its real or not, but I can saw is WOW. What does this guy do for a
living?
Any vehicle driven 100,000 miles per year will last 400,000 miles. Time is every bit as powerful as miles, possibly more so.

As for the mileage claims, I don't buy fast starts, no hypermiling, and 90mph+ beating the EPA rating by so much. Why would Toyota allow the car to be so under-rated? They could jack up the price and sell a lot more units if it was rated accurately for 50mpg. Money talks.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Any vehicle driven 100,000 miles per year will last 400,000 miles. Time is every bit as powerful as miles, possibly more so.

As for the mileage claims, I don't buy fast starts, no hypermiling, and 90mph+ beating the EPA rating by so much. Why would Toyota allow the car to be so under-rated? They could jack up the price and sell a lot more units if it was rated accurately for 50mpg. Money talks.
If you watch the video, you see that he resets the MPG right after he gets to cruising speed, therefore eliminating the variable of acceleration and whatnot.. This whole article/video/whatever reeks of the hype basjoos got when he told some reporters that in some instances he can get 90MPG with his heavily modified Civic CX. They mostly looked over the fact that in actual driving, on average, he got around 60MPG. The 90MPG number is I think a theoretical one if he were to drive 55mph which he chooses not to do. He has bumped his mileage up to 70MPG since swapping in the VX engine and I do commend him for his work, I'm just a little annoyed with the actions of the news reporters looking for eye catching headline and story.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Registered Member

speaking of basjoos, it made curious enough to view the recent top ten here and...it seems we have another superstar! wow, look who is #1. or better yet, look at what the vehicle is!

dude! i want to know what additive he's using!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

I saw that yesterday when I was working on the garage database. Haven't really decided what to do with it yet. Right now I don't have the capability to edit fuel logs. I can edit vehicles in the garage, and retire them, but I cannot do anything with the fuel log. If it was from a new member I would have just retired the car and been done with it. Not sure with this one.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Registered Member

please remember. these are two diff videos with two diff yaris' and drivers. only the first one is about getting great mpg without hypermiling. the second one was just about how fast one driver put 400,000 miles on his car. but both are a statement on how toyota can still make a great car that gets good mpg and can rack up the miles with no problems. sorry for the confusion.