Yesss! Got 30mpg - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smay665949 View Post
I gained 2 MPG in my 01 Impala when I switched the engine to Amsoil.
fill out a garage page so we can see your #s.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
Registered Member

brucepick,

you are doing very well especially considering your GVW. since we both have heavy cars, i'll be watching your gas logs.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
DON'T TAZE ME BRO!
LOL, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzkd_m4ivmc .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCZSDxA8_JA
Old 11-04-2007, 03:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

Skewbe,

good link, very funny, thanks. being a U of F fan(wanted to attend, but never got around to it), this is near and dear to me.

so now, florida is embarrased as the state of the hanging chad and home of taser boy. got some issues here.

wouldn't be suprised to find out someone here named their son taser boy as preoccupied w/ television as we are.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'm not one to believe most claims without some serious backup, but Acetone, if it helps, at a cost of about $5 I just got 32 ounces of Sally's Beauty Supply 99% acetone... That should be good for about 3-4 fill-ups, either I see an improvement or I don't, thou it would be nice.

As for dyno vs. synthetic, the truth of this is I run synth because it's like having anti-seize insurance on my engines, couldn't tell you what it does for mpg but I'm sure so long you're not using a thicker grade than recommended, you really can't go wrong.

I like Amsoil's claim, I just don't like the name of the company and their distribution system...
Reminds me too much of Amway, the only benefit from their oil appears to be from the ash content, unfortunately I don't have 5 or 10 engines I can abuse to see if it stands up to it, certainly not for what Amsoil costs, so I run most any brand that's on sale.

Matter of fact it will be another year before I'm full synth, I still run synth blend I found on sale 4-5 years ago... That stuff is really good too, I abuse my engines like nobody's business, and I've still got maybe 20 or 30 quarts priced around 1.89 each...
Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
I'm not one to believe most claims without some serious backup, but Acetone, if it helps, at a cost of about $5 I just got 32 ounces of Sally's Beauty Supply 99% acetone... That should be good for about 3-4 fill-ups, either I see an improvement or I don't, thou it would be nice.

As for dyno vs. synthetic, the truth of this is I run synth because it's like having anti-seize insurance on my engines, couldn't tell you what it does for mpg but I'm sure so long you're not using a thicker grade than recommended, you really can't go wrong.

I like Amsoil's claim, I just don't like the name of the company and their distribution system...
Reminds me too much of Amway, the only benefit from their oil appears to be from the ash content, unfortunately I don't have 5 or 10 engines I can abuse to see if it stands up to it, certainly not for what Amsoil costs, so I run most any brand that's on sale.

Matter of fact it will be another year before I'm full synth, I still run synth blend I found on sale 4-5 years ago... That stuff is really good too, I abuse my engines like nobody's business, and I've still got maybe 20 or 30 quarts priced around 1.89 each...
i understand sally's has good quality acetone, so good luck to you. i'd go
w/3oz to 10gal gas ratio. some start small(1oz), but i think 3oz is a better start. 32oz would give me ~5 tanks to test. that should be enough IF you know your before #s.

test precisely while adding NO other mods and eliminate as many variables as possible. ie drive the same route, speed, use same gas and pump, etc. also, fill out a garage and gas log so we can see your results. again, have before and after logs if possible.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
let's see, how many engines have i seized on cheap ol' dino oil...

oh, that's right! none!
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ota-sludge.htm

shorter oil change intervals would have helped this issue, but a GOOD synthetic would have made it a non-issue.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ota-sludge.htm

shorter oil change intervals would have helped this issue, but a GOOD synthetic would have made it a non-issue.
I have changed a bunch of oil on these cars and I can tell you the oil is junk after 2000 miles. I dont know what they toyota did but they did a big Syn helps it but its really nasty at 5,000. If I had to guess they have some engine clearence on the tight side......

John

Otistheminivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I think the mileage gain came from merely wanting it.After a while it becomes second nature not to jump on the pedal, as I'm sure we all have done sometime in the past.I don't even like hearing neighbors roar off when I'm sitting inside the house;much less do it myself.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
Registered Member

clencher,

it's very simple...GOOD syn motor oil withstands extreme temps(cold or hot) better. i'm sure you realize that. however, if a vehicle doesn't have a flaw related to the oil, dino oil changed regularly CAN make a motor last quite a while. syn is just superior.
www.jdpower.com/articles/article.aspx?ID=208

Otistheminivan,

shorter intervals will HELP(not solve) this issue. the problem has something to do w/ coolant passages. toyota experimented w/ weight reduction, which basically became a poor cooling design. anyway, the oil gets cooked, which leads to sludge. syn oil has a higher "cooking" temp. not all syn are created equal, however.