Yesss! Got 30mpg - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Yesss! Got 30mpg

VERY unexpected fillup today--30.233mpg after previous best of 27.24. first, let's review...

last year was averaging~21. then, w/ acetone, but before GS avg~25.

after joining GS and reluctantly trying mods such as grill block, ^psi, and EOC got the high of 27.24. my driving is VERY consistant--about 65%hwy miles.

now, why such a jump: ~3mpg all of a sudden? well, this is what i will speculate:

for the first time since joining GS did NOT drop/pickup the kids to/from school(usually give mom a break on my day off). also, a/c useage this tank was almost eliminated(been using daily prior). lastly, my gliding(anticipation) skill is improving greatly even tank to tank. oh yes, almost forgot: this tank had 8 days driving to work rather than 7. my days off are ALL city.

remember: same routes, same gas(and pump),same type of driving,etc.
look @ my gas log to see how similar the fillups are. combined trips and drive as little as possible.

what do you think? unbelievable?

edit: FYI: vehicle weight is 3429, epa est 17/26(20), auto V6

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
*shrug*

Sounds pretty good! Try to keep it up through the winter.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

It's too bad the ScanGauage didn't track cumulative newtons of force on the brake pedal like it is on the gas pedal. In a heavy vehicle, that brake pedal is very costly in gas. I'll bet that's a part of your excellent results - DWB.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
best acetone improvements come from riding bicycle
i've stopped using acetone periodically(and might try again soon), after each mod has been tested for example, to see the results.

let's just say i can't afford not to use it.

BUT, i've also said before, i'm convinced it does NOT increase FE in my wife's camaro.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

bowtieguy,

what is acitone? A fuel additive?

The other day I called a number on a truck and the guy sent me to this website http://landers.mpgfreedom.com/access.aspx for MPG caps, has anyone used them?

If your engine/trans are in good shape use quality synthetic fluids. Synthetic oil has better cold flow and lubrication properties than conventional oil so it will improve cold and hot weather economy.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Supporting Member

bowtieguy -

Congratulations . I like your speculations on trip changes/driving style. When I started, I was making two non-highway trips into the traffic "black hole" of Santa Monica/Westwood. Now I only make one. I am sure that has helped my average too.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smay665949 View Post
bowtieguy,

what is acitone? A fuel additive?

The other day I called a number on a truck and the guy sent me to this website http://landers.mpgfreedom.com/access.aspx for MPG caps, has anyone used them?

If your engine/trans are in good shape use quality synthetic fluids. Synthetic oil has better cold flow and lubrication properties than conventional oil so it will improve cold and hot weather economy.
acetone CAN be used as a fuel additive. see www.lubedev.com for details. just don't take eveything said as absolute truth. some ideas, like acetone, work for me, others do not. for some reason it works for some and not others here. check the archives also.

sorry, can't respond to mpgfreedom link because i have dial-up(takes too long to download videos).

as far as amsoil...i already use it(tranny and motor, even amsoil p.i. for fuel system clean-up). problem is i don't have before and after FE data(been using syn oil long before i joined here). and i will NOT put dino oils in my cars to find out.

if you try acetone, test it precisely over several fillups eliminating as many variables as possible. also use high quality. i'd start w/ 3oz to 10 gal gas. good luck.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
bowtieguy -

Congratulations . I like your speculations on trip changes/driving style. When I started, I was making two non-highway trips into the traffic "black hole" of Santa Monica/Westwood. Now I only make one. I am sure that has helped my average too.

CarloSW2
thank you! i don't agree w/ all that is said here(obviously), but i DO agree driver mods are w/out a doubt the greatest influence on FE.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

I gained 2 MPG in my 01 Impala when I switched the engine to Amsoil.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yes, city driving will drive your mpg straight down.
My normal commute is (was, but that's another story) about 60 mi. highway each way with a few miles of local roads on one end of the route. This summer I was getting about 30 mpg on that run.

37 miles city driving in Syracuse, NY got me 21.x mpg. Syracuse is actually not a very bad place to drive but I had to follow a conventional driver. Another time I topped off immediately before and after weekend driving near home to test for local driving numbers. I got similar results, about 20.5 mpg.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote