100 MPG over 8000 miles! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

100 MPG over 8000 miles!

Honda have beaten a World record managing a head scratching average of just over 100 UK MPG over a staggering 8387 miles across Europe! Hondas research and development team achieved this impressive economy in a standard diesel production version of the popular Civic.

Of all the suspiciously high so called "record breaking" economy tests we hear about, this has to be the most comprehensive long term test ever recorded, they drove through an epic 24 countries all together! Personaly I take my hat off to them having the patients to travel such a vast distance using hypermiling techniques, very impressive!

More info on this story here: Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 i-DTEC sets 100mpg record - GreenCarGuide.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-Civic-Tourer-1.6-i-DTEC-sets-100mpg-record1.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1800  

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #2
Registered Member

The hypermiling gurus at CleanMPG drool over the Civic diesel, but we won't see it here in the US.

They did get 77.9mpg US with the 2.0 TDI Passat going through the continental US. That's 93.55mpg UK.
VW Passat TDI sets 77.9 mpg fuel economy record through Lower 48 states
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Ready to Hit the Road - CleanMPG Forums

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yea I remember reading about that, pretty good going. I'd love to organise my own eco trip, but I just know I'd run out of patience after a few hours. Its a shame there's not more demand for these cars in the Us as there seems to be fair bit of interest.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Yea I remember reading about that, pretty good going. I'd love to organise my own eco trip, but I just know I'd run out of patience after a few hours. Its a shame there's not more demand for these cars in the Us as there seems to be fair bit of interest.
I just recently in april moved from my first beat up Volkswagen Jetta 2000 to a newer 2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Premium I'm enjoying the 38-42 mpg. I was only getting about 18-20 in my gas vehicle. I think the highest i've ever hit in the diesel one driving around was about 53 mpg driving 70-80. I have no complaints either.
athornfam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

If they sold the Bluemotion versions there, you'd get even more. I find diesels seem to be more efficient at higher speeds.

It's mainly the historicly low fuel prices, and lack of Carbon Dioxide taxing that have meant there's no desperate rush to switch to diesel in the US. But you can't argue with the efficiency.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
If they sold the Bluemotion versions there, you'd get even more. I find diesels seem to be more efficient at higher speeds.

It's mainly the historicly low fuel prices, and lack of Carbon Dioxide taxing that have meant there's no desperate rush to switch to diesel in the US. But you can't argue with the efficiency.
They just started selling the Bluemotion vehicles in the US. The 2015 vehicles are the ones that have that. I mean I'm not going to complain about it if I drive appropriately and not put the foot to the floor I can get a good 40-50 mpg per trip which is perfectly fine by me. Especially when gas prices go up in the near future because we are going to have another recession. So i'm going to enjoy it while it lasts with diesel below premium in my town now. costs me $2.95 to $2.99 for diesel. so no worries for me.
athornfam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes it's strange, for the first time in years and years diesel has just dropped below gas here too.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

That's really impressive!! Although I'm sure someone else will already be out trying to beat them in something else!
CT200h_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athornfam2 View Post
They just started selling the Bluemotion vehicles in the US. The 2015 vehicles are the ones that have that. I mean I'm not going to complain about it if I drive appropriately and not put the foot to the floor I can get a good 40-50 mpg per trip which is perfectly fine by me. Especially when gas prices go up in the near future because we are going to have another recession. So i'm going to enjoy it while it lasts with diesel below premium in my town now. costs me $2.95 to $2.99 for diesel. so no worries for me.
I think a recession will further put downward pressure on fuel prices. The barrel of oil might get closer to $20
curro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
LDB
Registered Member

As a kid I remember gas being about a quarter a gallon and diesel about 7-10 cents a gallon. My first vehicle was a Honda CT70. I believe it had about a 2 maybe 3 quart tank. My first "fill" was 7 cents. Once I learned the bike it usually was around 15 cents or so.

Back on topic, is there somewhere that has the abridged version of the reader's digest version of the abbreviated version of what's involved in hypermiling? I'm curious what they did in their 8300 mile 100mpg run but have a very short attention span at times. Thanks.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote