A shot with a mix... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
Registered Member

I've been using used engine oil for a couple years...about 20,000 miles easy. I'd like a better filtration program from myself, but that's a matter of time an money. Regardless, it hasn't had me changing the fuel filter more, and I have no performance issues. The bus had 180k on it when I bought it, so it has wear on it as it is. Still, no problems.

I don't see why vegetable oil would harm anything. Rudolph diesel orginally used vegetable oil on his new engine, so...

I've started "spiking" my diesel with the new vegetable oil and a little gasoline since December. Not a lot of miles, but it has been very, very cold. No problems with starting or operation even at temperatures from -10F to 10F.

Next month, I start a lot of traveling. So, I'll know a little more then maybe about vegetable oil and gasoline.

Still looking for a source for cold pressed vegetable oils at a reasonable cost.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

And with diesel prices continuing to rise, used engine oil is becoming more and more valuable to me.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
You guys are talking about blending

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...m/f/9751014871

http://www.frybrid.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

and some interesting info for the engineer types

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ighlight=water

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
Well the vegetable oil will increase lubrication and the "gas" will act like a cetane booster (make the fuel easier to ignite)...so it might work, maybe.
I think you are confusing cetane with octane. They are kinda opposite. If you have access to old gas, like year old, from boat yards or similar, then it wouldn’t be a problem, but you risk pre-ignition if you have too much octane in your diesel. Some who work in airfields get the drained jet2, and oil/lube people use the leftovers filtered into their tanks.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy123 View Post
can u tell us what happend when u used to use used engine oil? and is there any possibility to harm ur engine by using veg oil?
You can clog your nozzles, and you can polymerize your oil if the vegetable oil gets into your engine oil. People who blend recommend cutting your OCI down below 5000 miles. if you are a 3000 miler, I don't know how well it would affect you. some have also noticed their oil level increasing when burning engine oil, because it gets past the rings and into the sump.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Rudolph diesel orginally used vegetable oil on his new engine, so...
No, He originally used coal dust. Didn't work as well as he wanted. Maybe you'll have better success than he did if you go ALL the way back to the original intent. I mean, if the original fuel is better, veg oil in your view, why not go all the way back to the original original fuel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
but you risk pre-ignition if you have too much octane in your diesel.
Can't happen. Compression ignition DEPENDS on enough compressive heat being available to spontaneously ignite the fuel, it's just that there isn't any fuel available as the air alone is being compressed. Fuel is injected at roughly TDC, not before.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #16
Registered Member

Right, Rudolph's machine didn't work on the dust. I guess that wasn't successful. Does that make it an engine?

I have no intention of using all vegetable oil. No reason. Additionally, the expense is high. The thread should make that understandable.

If you have something positive to add, I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #17

Dust, you got it. Blending. Once it gets a TRUE summertime (HOT) I am going to start putting WVO in my tank as I am sitting on a nice surplus of it. I run so many miles a day it won't be sitting in there long anyway. For starters I am only going to add about 2 gallons per my 13 gallon tank (Jetta).

I thought about getting ahold of some RUG (Raw Unused Gas) from some of the boat places around here. From my research (but no testing yet) is too bad to be used anymore any but has a higher cetane rating than standard diesel. Of course this will be added small amounts too, from what I've read it seems most use it as a thinner for their WVO.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
Dust, you got it. Blending.
And here is a link to old gasoline discussion.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...1/m/5101050991
Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 AM   #19
Registered Member

Point, Counterpoint

Quote:
... he started to talk about how the plastics industry has caused the removal of some important chemicals from fuels, both diesel and gas, over some period of time.
Thermoplastic compounds are predominantly from natural gas, not from the liquid portion used for fuels. I don't doubt there will be some diversion of the vaporous fossil hydrocarbon compounds if and when Shell's 'gas-to-liquid' petrodiesel production becomes economically profitable.

Quote:
... Anyway, Daniel's discussion of how fuels have changed led me back to a period when Power Mist had an additive that could be added to a street gas, specifically, their recommendation was Amoco (now owned and known as BP) premium unleaded. However, buy the early, mid 90's they did say that because of refining and EPA mandates for the recipies of regular and the new at the time oxygenated fuels, there was no longer a big distinction between any fuel refiner's premium unleaded fuel.

Daniel responded to my email very quickly, and he agreed that the 2 gallons of vegetable oil with one gallon of unleaded gasoline added to a 40 gallon tank would be good even for winter time use.
What happened? You were going on about an additive for gasoline and then jumped to home concocted additive for diesel.

Quote:
... Right, Rudolph's machine didn't work on the dust. I guess that wasn't successful. Does that make it an engine?
It did 'work' on dust, just not as reliably as the spark ignited engines then available. The big problem he has was in metering the dust which tended to clump. When the dust fed in OK, the engine did work, but the consistency issue meant that his engine was no improvement. Changing to a plant oil provided better consistency in fuel delivery and eliminated that problem.
And my comment about going back to the original fuel wasn't directed at your original post, but at this later one:
Quote:
I don't see why vegetable oil would harm anything. Rudolph diesel orginally used vegetable oil on his new engine, so...
Quote:
... If you have something positive to add, I'd appreciate it.
OK, I positively hope you have better success in repeating the same experiment than others have had.
At 4.7% veg oil and 2.3% gasoline it'll be some time before your results become statistically significant. Here's hoping it lasts long enough that you can provide the verifiable data.

Wazabi Owner, RUG is more commonly Regular octane, Unleaded Gasoline, but I like your twist on the acronym. And best of success to you, too.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #20
Registered Member

Actually, this is the diesel section. The origin of the NVO stuff was for my diesel as the volume that I consume fuel is a big part of my business overhead.

Have done it with gasoline too, but the original goal is diesel.