Canadian smart car aiming for 100 mpg (US) - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #31
Registered Member

I've heard ~85-90mpg@55mph average speed for the Insight from the horse's mouth, but I'm not sure if that's with lean burn or not. I know that it can go all electric at learn burn for a solid whatever mpg at a slower cruise with MIMA, but I don't think it can do 55mph all electric.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #32
Registered Member

ICE, ICE, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
I've heard ~85-90mpg@55mph average speed for the Insight from the horse's mouth, but I'm not sure if that's with lean burn or not. I know that it can go all electric at learn burn for a solid whatever mpg at a slower cruise with MIMA, but I don't think it can do 55mph all electric.
The secret to driving the Insight is to neither use the charge, nor the assist to get the best FE -- basically all engine. At 55, I'm guessing that a little electrical assist is necessary to overcome the wind resistance. Keep in mind that you have to use the ICE to recharge the batteries if you use them exclusively (unless you do a plug-in setup ) Otherwise, if the battery gets too low, you get a "Re-Calibration" of the battery back that evens the charge in each battery, and commands re-charge (which kills FE). Rather tricky from what I understand.

RH77

Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #33
Registered Member

Eek, sounds like it. I suppose that's where the big advantage of the Prius' parallel/hybrid setup comes from. Going pretty OT, I would absolutely love a plug-in diesel or gas hybrid that's based on something like the 1L with either a small gas or diesel engine that provides enough oomph to cruise at ~55-65mph. We'd get the price per kwh/efficiency advantage of the BEV most of the time, with the optimized gas/diesel engine efficiency for longer trips. Performance would probably be better than a straight gas or diesel setup like the UFE-III or 1L.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #34
Registered Member

MetroMPG where did you get the pricing for the IT car cause. I want one.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #35
Registered Member

http://www.zapworld.com/cars/salecars.asp

There's a used 03 IT partway down that page for $9K. Shows $15K as its new price.

If you go to Dynasty's web site and go through their dealers' sites, you'll probably find more info. http://itiselectric.com
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #36
Registered Member

none of the dealers near me listed prices...
Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #37
REDUCE is the first R

I drove an Insight today. First impressions - I need to see someone drive it that knows WTF they are doing. I drove conservatively, and got a 5.2 L/100km... not so hot.

Also - I was thinking of putting the smart on eBay with a link gassavers - I usually get 1500 views on a smart diesel ad... I do it simply for promotion purposes (for my site www.100mpg.ca ). What does a scanguage look like and what does it do? I need sometthing to make my driving more interesing. Honest. I'm thinking I should get a turbo boost indicator of some kind in the smart. And a set of those 3.5" wheels with 135 on the front... and put the 145 (on 4") on the rear... 55 PSI... and you know, go for a LONG I5 trip...

2005 smart cdi, 799 cc 3-cyl common rail turbo diesel
smartzuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
I have seen the 100mpg site before.

Smart cars are cool, but they are not being sold in the US yet. or If they are it is in very limited sales.

Speaking of limited sales...

I saw a lotus eliese on the road the other day.
I see the lotus elise all the time here.
I live where all the drug dealers, rappers, movie stars and rich people live. So far I've seen at least 4 in the last couple of months. The only car I'll really drool over is the Ferrari Enzo and the BMW M5. Seen 2 M5's in the last couple of months and saw one Enzo.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 AM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartzuuk
I drove an Insight today. First impressions - I need to see someone drive it that knows WTF they are doing. I drove conservatively, and got a 5.2 L/100km... not so hot.
In city driving you have to maximize use of the Auto Stop (engine off) feature. The super-high FE drivers install a switch to manually force Auto Stop when coasting or waiting at lights, etc. That's the FAS acronym you see all over this site (also applied to non-hybrids when drivers stop the engine manually via the key or installed switch).

Using FAS with the pulse & glide or CODfishing techniques will return the ridiculously high FE numbers achieved at lower average speeds (e.g. sub/ex/urban speeds).

Also, ironically, you should be attempting to minimize use of the hybrid system, which minimizes battery depletion, which reduces the charging load placed on the engine when the SOC drops.

In highway driving, you aim to get in lean burn cruise and stay there.

I hope some of the Insight experts will chime in and add to this, or correct my misinformation (I've only ever ridden in one, not driven one). It may be worth starting a dedicated thread if you want to pursue it. They may not be reading here.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 AM   #40
Registered Member

SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartzuuk
What does a scanguage look like and what does it do?
It's the best thing since sliced bread:

ScanGauge

The manufacturer just released an updated version with added features.

Basically it gives you instant feedback on a variety of items: (MPG (or L/100km), intake air temp, throttle position, speed (which often differs from the speedometer), manifold absolute pressure, etc. It helps drivers know what the car "likes" to get good FE. It also pulls "check-engine" codes and has a trip computer.

RH77