DEF? Biodiesel? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

DEF? Biodiesel?

So I know what DEF is, been around semis before DEF and E-logs came out. But since when did Diesel engines in pickups have to add DEF to it? And which engines requires DEF? I've got a 6.0 that doesn't have DEF, nor do I add that crap.
What's the best mix between oil and diesel do you use for biodiesel, which one is better used vegi oil or used oil from my high pressure oil system?

Redneckrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Let's put it this way, the only car company that sold a personal diesel vehicle that didn't use DEF in it since ULSD came out was VW, and it apparently didn't work for them. Oh, and Mahindra, but they sold a pick up for only a couple of years.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

When did ULSD come out? Cus my 2006 F-250 doesn't have a DEF tank, nor is it in any of the manuals, same with every diesel pick up I've been around.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

More than you ever wanted to know about ULSD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

2007 model year was when diesels had to have 'advanced' emission controls. The manufacturers might have tried using EGR and/or LNT, but SCR with DEF is currently to only legal way to meet and exceed emissions while maintaining the diesel's performance and fuel economy.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

That's interesting how do I know which one I'm filling my truck up with, at the pump? So then why doesn't my F-250, 6.0 doesn't use DEF? The article definitely is making me want to add my used oil to my diesel. Right now I've got FICM and looking at getting an SCT tuner scanner to help with my MPG
Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

No matter which pump you use, you are getting ULSD. Your truck doesn't use DEF because it wasn't required for that model year. Your truck probably doesn't have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), either, for the same reason.

The school district whose buses I sometimes drive has a 2011 bus as its newest member of the fleet. The bus was actually manufactured in late 2009. It has a DPF, but does not use DEF. Newer buses have a filler cap for DEF near the fuel filler. New trucks use it, too. I am told that if the DEF runs out the truck's computer will shut the truck down, just as it does in passenger vehicles.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

Oh ok, well cool... Looks like I'm sticking with older trucks then lol
Old 07-07-2016, 04:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

The truck will give plenty of warning about low DEF before going into "limp home" mode.

By this time all, all the diesel in the US, including off-road and heating oil, should be ULSD.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckrich View Post
That's interesting how do I know which one I'm filling my truck up with, at the pump? So then why doesn't my F-250, 6.0 doesn't use DEF? The article definitely is making me want to add my used oil to my diesel. Right now I've got FICM and looking at getting an SCT tuner scanner to help with my MPG
I think Ford and Chevy started using DEF on their trucks in MY2011, Dodge started with MY2012 (MY2011 for Cab & Chassis). Dodge tried some other combinations of emission equipment between 2007 and 2012 that didn't use DEF, but the impact on fuel mileage was bad.

As the trucks get newer, you have to be much more careful with what you can add to your diesel. The new trucks with more emissions have a LOT more filtration and the injectors are a LOT more particular about what you can pass through them. The trucks with the DPF and EGR absolutely need clean ULSD, otherwise you run the risk of plugging up these systems very quickly.

AggieJM is offline   Reply With Quote