Do I need a fuel additive? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #21
Registered Member

I only had a quick scan through, what's the effect on the oil using Ulsd? I assumed with the low sulphur content, you guys would be able to use similarly long intervals like we do here, 20,000 to 30,000 miles between changes perhaps. But now, if Ulsd removes the lubricants, then perhaps you will still have to change your oil often?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #22
Registered Member

The lubricants in the fuel are needed for the fuel pump and other components of the fuel system; possibly the upper cylinder.

Removing the sulfur from diesel removes these lubricants. The refinery then has to add them back.

The motor oil already has a long change interval for diesels in the US. The oil has a additional additives over the oil for gasoline engines. The oil capacity of diesel engines, at least the V8s in full size trucks that are the common diesel sold here, is also higher. I don't know if or how much the switch to ULSD has allowed the interval to be extended.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #23
Registered Member

I would have thought, with good quality long life oil, and driving mostly on the highway for long periods of time, using Ulsd should give a minimum of 25,000 miles between oil changes, if not more.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #24
Registered Member

Interesting that Audi should forbid the use of Bio in any formulation as here in Canada, B5 is all that's available. Of course they do seem to be in a spot of trouble with fiddling with emissions systems, don't they?
lebikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #25
Registered Member

It's because of their emission systems design. If fuel is needed to be injected into the exhaust for regenerating anything, it seems all the German models do so through the engine itself. Biodiesel doesn't vaporize has readily as diesel, so too high a concentration could lead to some getting left behind in the cylinder. Where it can form carbon deposits, or get into the motor oil.

The diesel Cruze, GM trucks, and Ford trucks can handle up to 25% biodiesel. They likely inject fuel for regeneration directly into the exhaust instead of the through the engine.

Another issue the manufacturers have to consider is that it isn't difficult to home brew biodiesel. Which increases the chance of biodiesel not up accepted standards being more likely to end up in the tank. So they have a lower limit to limit warranty payouts in that event.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:10 AM   #26
Registered Member

It appears that other diesel manufacturers may be rooted out, now that VW has been burned down......for NOT burning fuel in emissions tests, as they do on the road. Read one article saying that even gasoline systems have their own problems, if they looked closer at their emissions.
Anyhow, people knew diesels had on-going problems before cheating VW was caught. To all the diesel drivers who got self-righteous about their "clean diesels", vs. "cleaner diesels".....thththththththththt!!!!!

Prof. Mark Jacobson, was blowing the whistle on diesel even before the article below & before present diesel manufacturer cheating was found. Prof. Jacobson was the prime reason I never got a diesel & recent cheatings show diesel pollution is worse than that:
Prius, Part 2: Why hybrids beat diesels | ThinkProgress
litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #27
Registered Member

Have a look at my post in the "cheating the test" topic. No one is getting self righteous about owning a diesel, most people buy them because they perform better, are more durable, and save a small fortune on fuel costs. I think those still driving petrol cars need to stop convincing themselves gas is green and diesel is dirty, burning fossil fuels is never clean, if you want to dedicate your life to clean living, you'd have to live in a tent and eat grass and ride a bike!

Old 09-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #28
Registered Member

I do read that the European Union members are rethinking their emphasis on diesel. It seems the smog in Paris etc is being noticed with alarm. The question now is, if VW was cheating, is anyone else.

Whatever the case, it should become apparent as it seems actual on-road-testing will become common in addition to the static lab-type testing depended upon in the past which allowed the VW programming scheme. If so, the VW-style cheating won't fool anyone anymore.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #29
Registered Member

Screw emissions, I'd love a diesel car for the fuel economy. The DPF cars would see a huge benefit from the VW cheat, but it seems to me that the impact to anything on an SCR car wouldn't be worth the time to write a cheat code.

Most of the truck diesel I have seen at the pump seems to be B10. It's a spooky greenish-yellow colour. And it foams more than regular diesel, stuffing the tank takes forever. I read that biodiesel technically contains less chemical energy than regular diesel but I haven't seen any measurable impact...not that I can really run a scientific test. I go where they tell me and fuel where they tell me.

We are using 25k or so OCIs on our trucks, both the 12.8l and 14.8l engines. Then again, the oil capacity was some ungodly amount - I forget the number but something like 6 or 8 gallons?
Jcp385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #30
Registered Member

The OCI'S are higher on diesels as the fuel contains more additives and lubricants. The large semi trucks here do 60,000 between changes, a regular large van might do 40,000 and a little car like mine will do 20,000 on each oil change.

I think if the US used similar quality fuels, with less sulphur, some of this diesel emissions bashing wouldn't exist.