Furnace oil... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
Be aware, the "red" is red diesel is dyed specifically so that tax agents can tell it is diesel that has not been properly taxed for road use. If you get caught you'll have the IRS down on you very quickly. I know people have been caught many a times before, and with fuel prices being so high I'll be willing to bet they've stepped up their enforcement.
Aside from taking samples from your fuel tank, how would they know?

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I always assumed they enforce by spot-checking fuel samples from your tank during routine traffic stops and at highway weigh stations.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I always assumed they enforce by spot-checking fuel samples from your tank during routine traffic stops and at highway weigh stations.
so, if its in a passenger vehicle and not required to stop at weigh stations, you in theory, **should** be safe. I've never heard of the state police or any of the "County Mounties" ever checking the fuel in the tank of a passenger vehicle.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
so, if its in a passenger vehicle and not required to stop at weigh stations, you in theory, **should** be safe. I've never heard of the state police or any of the "County Mounties" ever checking the fuel in the tank of a passenger vehicle.

-Jay
I have heard that the dye can leave a residue elsewhere in vehicle, such that it might be noticed by an auto shop or an observant officer. I have no first-hand experience with this.

Incidentally, the company I am about to stop buying oil from has recently been charging MORE for home heating oil than diesel costs at the pump. I seriously considered finding a way to transport ~200 gallons of diesel fuel. Presumably, I could have gotten it even cheaper by buying "off-road" diesel, used in ATVs, construction equipment, etc (i.e. diesel vehicles that don't drive on the road), but we don't have an off-road pump near enough to us for me to know the current price of off-road diesel.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornburg View Post
but we don't have an off-road pump near enough to us for me to know the current price of off-road diesel.
It's just the cost of the fuel without road tax.

This will help give you an idea on day to day diesel averages state to state, including off road.
http://www.etrucker.com/apps/promiles/fuelprices.asp
Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
I would say, as far as the heating stuff, if you are gonna run WVO, you might as well start installing stuff. The question about temperatures is a good one. Are you gonna use your 2nd tank for WVO? IF so, you might as well pop in a heated pickup. it will make sure that the fuel is warm.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
I would say, as far as the heating stuff, if you are gonna run WVO, you might as well start installing stuff. The question about temperatures is a good one. Are you gonna use your 2nd tank for WVO? IF so, you might as well pop in a heated pickup. it will make sure that the fuel is warm.
Home heating oil isn't Waste Vegetable Oil.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:01 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
My comment about heating was in reply to this statement. I know that home heating oil isn't waste vegetable oil. Just saying that if the furnace oil may not be as fluid as the dino, and a WVO system is going in, might as well start installing the heating part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
But be wary, Is the heating oil blended to flow when it's in someone's 10C basement in a 1000 liter tank, or is it suited for a -30C night in the driveway?
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
What I find funny is that the home oil is higher in sulfur and polutes when burned in the home a heck of a lot more because you burn a heck of a lot more of it in a month than you would driving a typical truck - not a trailer truck. The polution still gets created . . . does no one see the bigger picture?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The bigger picture is that oil heat, despite all the new marketing campaigns, is nasty, stinky, and just generally sucks and I wish I could afford to switch to propane.