Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rfruth
people complain about the EPA but this thread is proof we need them

rfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #32
Site Team / Moderator

Yes, the dye does linger. For exactly how long, I do not know.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #33
Registered Member

Lost everything so now I'm dieselmech2! LOL!
Anyway, thought I'd jump in here again, you guys that say "I think" this and that are stating your OPINIONS. I'm telling you from first hand knowledge that the dye DOES NOT leave a "residue" anywhere, that's a wives tale. I have a 8.2L turbodiesel in my converted schoolbus (motorhome/racecar hauler) as well as my old 93 f-350 (now with a bit over 800,000 km's on it) as well as working with off road diesels every day. The off road vehicles run dyed fuel daily, everything I rip apart to fix...has NO RESIDUE! Unless they dip your tanks and find the coloured fuel in there, there is no "stains" or "residue" left over in the inj pump or lift pump etc.
Dieselmech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Doesn't the dye also linger in spots? So you might get busted even if the recent fill was road diesel.

Probably mentioned before(maybe by me), but heating oil contains a lot more sulfur than road diesel. Around 30 to 50 times more than ULSD. This means more particulates and other nasties out of the tailpipe, and it will wreck the pricy catalytic convertor on newer diesels.
I already spoke of the dye, as far as the catalytic converter, diesels don't have one. Since 2007 they've had to have DPF's which are Diesel Particulate Filters. Furnace oil or dyed fuel or anything else doesn't "wreck" them but if not regenned when required will build up and plug. The main concern is heat, they are made to stand re-gen temps of up to 1300f but a plugged one will go even higher and more importantly, for as long as you're driving. Stop, do a regen and it gets hot for a few minutes then cools to operating temp (5-800f) Don't do a regen and you're driving down the road for an hour at 1500f and then various things melt and catch fire....not pretty...
Regardless, running straight diesel without doing a regen will do the damage the same as burning furnace/veg/whatever.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #35
Registered Member

Diesels do so have a catalytic convertor. Even before the sulfur limits were lowered on diesel fuel, they had two way ones for hydrocarbon emissions. The sulfur content was just too high for 3 way convertors for reducing NOx emissions. The entire point of switching to ULSD was to reduce emissions in general, but mainly to allow the use of NOx reducing convertors.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:54 AM   #36
Registered Member

Holy crap trollbait, I stand corrected! Around here the common term is DPF which includes "all that crap I wanna yank offa my truck". But actually there are two seperate items in the exh system, one being a "catalytic converter".
Look at that, I'll go to bed tonight a little less stupid!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 AM   #37
Registered Member

I think some referred to the basic 2-way cat as a 'resonator' not knowing what it was, but knowing diesels had fewer emission controls than a gas vehicle.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #38
Registered Member

Hi guys - UK perspective here.
Untaxed agricultural diesel is dyed red, spot checks crush road vehicles using it - it costs about half regular diesel.
Heating oil is not dyed, nor taxed, and costs about one third of regular diesel.
I ran several cars exclusively on heating oil for 5 years, with no ill effects.
I am ignorant to the exact constitution - sulphur levels etc.
All the best!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #39
Registered Member

Ben, what do you mean by" spot checks crush road vehicles using it " are you say literally? If so, that's really vindictive, nannystate government control! A fine or even prison time.. but crush a vehicle? That's really petty and vidictive.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #40
Registered Member

US heating oil used to have sulfur levels up to 500ppm; which wouldn't be a problem with a diesel without a catalytic convertor for NOx. Oils changes may need to be more frequent.

It, and off road diesel, all should be ULSD by now, but it is dyed.