Idle musings about diesel series hybrid - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Idle musings about diesel series hybrid

The best thing I could do to save gas would be to park my 81 CJ-5 forever and drive a Geo Metro. But I'm incorrigible. I want to get 25 mpg with that brick. It's the principle of the thing--the challenge.

Anyway, my latest idea is installing a diesel engine generator hooked to a battery pack or set of capacitors which are themselves hooked to an electric motor. Why not just hook up the diesel to the tranny? Because I want the diesel to be running at a constant speed.

In other words, I want yer standard hybrid car but w/ a diesel rather than gasoline engine.

But I don't have much $ and I don't know what kind of HP/kilowatt rating I should be looking for in a diesel engine anyway. Would 50 hp do the trick? How about 35? Jeeps weigh about 3,500 - 4,000 lbs and they are as aerodynamic as cinder blocks.

Are capacitors too expensive for a poor boy like me? What kind of batteries should I use instead? How much would it cost for a big enough bank of used iron oxide (A123) batteries to run the electric motor? Should I just go w/ lead batteries?

Aaarghh. Questions, questions! Does anybody here have the answers?

eprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Why not try something simpler like doing aero dynamic mods such as doing underbody covering with chloroplast? That thing isn't exactly the most aerodynamic of vehicles and with aerodynamic modifications alone should be enough to give you the mileage you're seeking. The next thing you could do is find a modern, small displacement diesel engine that has same or slightly higher power output numbers and drop that in. You don't need to go all hybrid and **** just to get reasonable mileage and 25mpg is if anything a modest goal. What do you average in this thing currently?

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Your conversion would probably cost more than buying and insuring a brand new Prius as a second car to drive when you don't need the Jeep's capabilities.

I'd guess that 50hp would do the job. Where would you find an efficient, modern 50hp diesel engine? Maybe a very small European car offers one.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2ZRR2

Your Price (ea.) $3,999.00
Brand DAYTON
Mfr. Model # 2ZRR2
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 288.0
Usually Ships** Today
Catalog Page No. 1035
Country of Origin USA

Portable Diesel Generator, 5000 Rated Watts, 9160 Surge Watts, 120/240 Voltage, Circuit Breaker Protected, Engine Size 276CC, Run Time @ Full Load 2.8 Hr/Tank, Sound Level dB 85, Engine HP 9.1, Fuel Tank Capacity 2.6 Gal, Starter Type Electric Start, Air Cleaner Type Paper, Low Oil Shut Down, Engine Brand Yanmar, Includes Wheel Kit And Dry Battery

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4KCE9

RV Generator, Diesel, 8500 Rated Watts, 120/240 Voltage, 1 Phase, 60 Hz, Circuit Breaker Protected, 2 Rotor Poles, Engine Size 1131cc, Engine RPM 1950, Rotor RPM 3600, Fuel Consumption @ Full Load 0.78 GPH, Fuel Consumption @ 1/2 Load 0.49 GPH, Starter Type Electric, Engine Brand ISM Grainger Item

# 4KCE9
Your Price (ea.) $7,975.00
Brand GENERAC
Mfr. Model # 5432
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 504.0
Usually Ships** From mfr. w/in 22 bus. days
Catalog Page No. N/A
Country of Origin USA

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
30hp is 22,000 watts. Those will never do.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Those were the only 2 **somewhat** reasonably priced diesel units I could find.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

What kinda of MPG are you shooting for? How long will it take you to recover your costs...breakeven? I have seen a small CAT diesel put in a Wrangler and they do great...low end and mpg.

Here is an article on a Cummins 3.9L swap:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...sel/index.html

You might be able to find a used/junked Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L Mercedes Diesel or maybe a Jeep Liberty CRD...that swap has been done too. Maybe read up on the Euro JKs with the newer 2.8L CRD for some numbers on mpgs.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Start with the electric motor and controller first then add a small lead battery pack big enough to handle a few accelerations from 0 to 40 mph and run a small diesel generator to keep the battery charged as you drive. Your steady state HP is not that great as the HP needed to accelerate so use the cheep SLA batteries for acceleration. Only problem is diesel motors coupled to a generator are HEAVY then add another electric motor for another 200+ lbs and you may be looking at over 400lbs easy then add a few hundred pounds of small lead batteries and POOF there goes your weight efficiency. THis is why a Prius is so heavy!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member

And the Prius is using lighter, more expensive NimH.

A series, battery hybrid is straight forward in concept, but without the economy of mass production, isn't practical for the purpose for saving cost on fuel. If cost isn't the issue, start by just making the Jeep an EV, then add a generator if you need farther range. Perhaps even stick it on a small trailer or hitch haul.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote