Just picked up a Jetta - ?? about SVO systems - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Great Climate

Furthermore, you're in a great climate for such an experiment. I've heard of problems with cold weather and gel problems, so Florida rules that out .

Best of luck -- I'd love to see what transpires!

RH77

Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #12

Lug_Nut- I just looked at the Elsbett single tank system, I know the Frybrid is expensive but I am still leaning towards it. I'm surprised you say it is a great way to depreciate the value of a diesel. Everything I've looked at with a kit installed seems to go through the roof on prices. A reason why I'm installing my own kit.

omgwtfbyobbq- I've slowly been swaying away from Biodiesel though I do have a perfect building/shed for manfacturing it.

Ryland & nathan- The second tank will be going in the spare tire well. I don't mind losing the spare. I've driven millions of miles in my life with a whole 2 flats. I just jinxed myself

MetroMPG- I will document the install well. Expect a full photo tutorial on the install and use.

Again, still leaning toward the Frybrid. I wish you guys could do some more to talk me out of it...........Greasecar? etc....

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

I'm biased against the VO fuel. I live within 100 miles of four retailers with ASTM certified B100 biodiesel. My supply to demand ratio is quite high. I don't have any need or desire to make my own. I don't bake my own bread, nor brew my own beer either.
My valuation of a diesel vehicle plummets when I discover that it has been run on VO. I believe it to be a ticking time-bomb worth only parts. But that's just the opinion of me and a few others that have seen the results of WVO/SVO engine post mortems.
I've seen the "China Syndrome" results of hung up injectors that stuck on VO. I sold one of my spare 1Z TDI engines to an avowed VO proponent when he melted through his #3 piston at about 30,000 miles of VO. He never used VO again. The $900 he paid for my engine would have bought 300+ gallons of biodiesel, enough for 15,000 miles. The amount he paid in labor to have it installed was another $500. The greasecar kit was another few hundred dollars. His saving for 30,000 miles? Zero. He soon sold the car at a deep discount under NADA value due to the carpet holes (for fuel lines) the stench and stains of numerous spills in the interior, the holes in the dash for the gauges and switches. Basically he sold it for its value as a parts car.
I've seen the three destroyed injector pumps (at about 20,000 miles and $800 each) on a VO using boy-racer that has an apparent equal supply of testosterone and cash to spend on pumps. He's so far behind in cash flow that he has no way to recoup his loss.
I have 165,000 miles of personal use on biodiesel, mostly B100, with an annual rate of B90 due to winter blending, with zero problems. I see what works for me. I see what didn't work for others. I see no reason to repeat what I consider to be their mistakes.
Now, Your IDI diesel has prechambers and a lower pump pressure to go with the lower injector cracking pressure. Your engine will tolerate the variations in VO for a lot longer than a higher pressure TDI will. I am not above blending WVO (when it is given to me) and B100 for use in my IDI lawn tractor, but if and when the tractor breaks down, I'm already at home.
My own car and VO? Never. Any future car I might buy? I won't if it's run VO.
I wish you better luck than those friends of mine had if you choose to go the VO conversion route. I look forward to your 100,000 mile report. You'd be the first of which I have knowledge of reaching that mark.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

Imo a properly setup IDI vehicle on WVO shouldn't have any problems. As long as you start up/shut down on diesel/biodiesel, everything is filtered/heated properly, and it isn't exposed to too much air/heat/steel, an IDI engine should go a long time on WVO. Also, make sure the injectors are rebuilt and at the right breaking pressure, pump is timed correctly, etc... Supposedly a few have gone, or are near ~100k miles but as usual YMMV. Most of the newbs w/ internet access still haven't put enough time on their systems to hit 100k, and the oldies who have been doing it for years or decades probably won't go around advertising it.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the first person I ever met who was running waste oil has been doing it for over 10 years now in the same 1982 VW rabbit, and hasn't had any problems, that being said, I think I prefer the idea of doing bio diesel, or figuring out a way to get the heater inside your normal fuel tank, so your normal fuel tank is for veggie oil...
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #16

I just got back from picking it up and ended up with some "surprises".

The surprises were, I had no idea just how extensive the records were. I'm ready to put it all in a phot album. I just don't have the heart to even do a repaint, the original paint is too nice. I also need to tint the windows quick to save the interior - the car has obviously been garaged it's entire life.

So, now I am the second owner (according to the records) and the car was also bought locally for $9500. I even got the original sales invoice! That's the tip of the iceburg how extensive the records are. When the guy described it for sale, he didn't even mention all this stuff. Only until I started digging did I find it. It's good to see another OCD person out there.....
Old 03-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
Registered Member

Wazabi: I saw an Insight - the same colour as yours - in my city today. They're a rare sight. I tried to catch up to him at a red light to admire, but I didn't pedal fast enough. I have never really had the opportunity to get a close look at one of these.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #18

Well, here it is. Looks like a regular plain vanialla car. I do need to fix the A/C hose, run some injector cleaner in it, maybe get some tires as these do have great tread but more dryrot than I like (an excuse for LRR tires), MAYBE replace the clutch just for piece of mind, R&R the rear bearings (noise) & adjust the headlights.

Still VERY happy with the purchase & that's all that counts.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #19
*shrug*

How much did you end up spending on it?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Registered Member

You also need to adjust the dynamic timing advance for modern fuel.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote