Just picked up a Jetta - ?? about SVO systems - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #21

If I said, then I'll have someone go and say - oh there's a better one around the corner for only $1500, but I paid twice that. Don't care what anyone else says, to ME a car with history means a lot. It shows pride of ownership. Pride of ownership (to me) means the car was taken care of, the same owner had it for 21 years according to the title and original invoice I have so that says even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
How much did you end up spending on it?

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #22
Supporting Member

nice car, real clean!
Just wondering, when you fuel up do you have to add some kind of lubricant to the fuel due to the new low sulfur fuel?

GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #23

Thanks for the compliment. I believe omgwtfbyobbq covered that. Shouldn't need any additives though on my last diesel I was a firm believer of Lucas in it. Now I have second thoughts as it is being sold at Wal-Mart. Lucas used to be hard to get ahold of, now it is simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
nice car, real clean!
Just wondering, when you fuel up do you have to add some kind of lubricant to the fuel due to the new low sulfur fuel?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
any veggie oil system, or biodiesel used on that car is going to meen that you need to replace all the rubber fuel lines, as they are they are most likely soft, biodiesel will turn them in to globs of rubber goo, I think it's Vitron, or something like that, that you need to get, it should cost about $25 for the 2 feet of 3 differnt sizes of fuel line that are needed, but well worth it.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #25
Registered Member

Or polyethylene, for the stuff that's only going to ~175 degrees F. Way cheaper...
Also, the problem with dynamic timing advance/rpm can be gotten around, or diagnosed by way of adding a good portion of paraffin/canning wax or ashless 30W oil, to see if smoke at higher engine speeds goes away and mileage improves. The best remedy is to set the internal pressure regulator correctly.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #26

Good info, Thanks. I do plan on replacing the lines. I'll be studying the VW diesel system as much as I can, got a factory manual coming too. I have got to be honest though, I hate German engineering. That being said, my Great Great Uncle (European side of the family) was the guy who designed the precombustion chamber as well as some of the early successful fuel injection systems.

PM me and I'll shoot you some history about it. Personally, I'm clueless about diesel and normally avoid German vehicles in general though I've had quite a few (Opel Kadett, Mercedes 280SL, Mexican Bug, Porsche 356C and few others I'm sure I've forgotten)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Or polyethylene, for the stuff that's only going to ~175 degrees F. Way cheaper...
Also, the problem with dynamic timing advance/rpm can be gotten around, or diagnosed by way of adding a good portion of paraffin/canning wax or ashless 30W oil, to see if smoke at higher engine speeds goes away and mileage improves. The best remedy is to set the internal pressure regulator correctly.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #27
Registered Member

Please don't ever tell if you decide to run veg oil lines through the interior.
I can't stop you if you do, but from that interior photo (that's not a sales brochure image?), I'll also never forgive you.
Why?!? Oh, why couldn't you settle for a beater as a VO conversion candidate instead of a survivor?
That dimple at the very front right corner... Is that a factory install? It seems as though every A2 Golf of Jetta I've ever seen has that same or very similar, parking ding.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #28
Registered Member

Why run hot VO through the interior? The spare tire well is perfect for a VO tank, with the lines exiting right next to where the soft lines for the stock fuel tank are. Coincidentally, the perfect place for a 6 port solenoid switch.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #29

Lug_Nut- I can assure you, I WILL NOT run it through the interior. I will be cutting minimal holes in the car for the total install, as well as splicing into electrics. The tank will be a rectangular unit that will fit flush up against the front of the trunk so I will be keeping that spare tire.

I understand your feelings about the car being a survivor, it really is a true find. Honestly, to me I don't have quite as much of an issue with it as I have seen worse. If you're familiar with mid-year Corvettes (63-67) there is a gentleman who has cut up many - Rod Saboury - he did what I consider to pure evil back around 1984 (and still does it today now that the cars are in the 100's of thousands!). He cut up a VERY rare ORIGINAL 20,000 mile survivor '63 split window Corvette. This car was so rare it had the two-bar knock off wheels, I've seen them on two cars - the prototype pictures and his! I'm very passionate when it comes to '63 S/W's, my dad bought one back at the time the article came out (he also bought one new in 1963). It has since moved to my possesion but sits rotting away in the garage as we type awaiting its restoration. It really does pain me to turn this into a veggie car, but it serves as an excellent base so I can't NOT do it either.

The love crease on the front fender is there as well as about 2 other much smaller but still significant "dings" and a rust spot below the windsheild seal on the pax side. The interior is just almost perfect except for the door panels. Thanks for the compliment on the interior . I think what the worse thing is, is that I live on a dirt road. It's not quite Georgia Clay, not as sticky, but still clay nonetheless. I hate this road so much I am ready to get into local politics just to get my road paved.

omgwtfbyobbq- You'll see I went ahead and chose the rectangular tank, it will fit PERFECT and I can retain the spare though SLIME and a 12V compressor will do th etrick too. (hint hint weight reduction gurus)
Old 03-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #30
Registered Member

Depending on the duty cycle of that compressor, you could use it to keep that tank pressurized and help move that grease. I'll probably go with those dollar kits and a set of patches as well as a donut, since the donut's so tiny.