Nitrous oxide, almost gone - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Nitrous oxide, almost gone

Taken from the Green car website, I have just read about Citroen/Peugeots successful emission control device, which has now proven to reduce Nitrous oxide by 90% to levels similar to a petrol powered car. Full story:

PSA Peugeot-Citroën reports that initial tests show that the BlueHDi after-treatment system, used on the company's latest generation of efficient diesel engines is compliant with Euro 6 regulations and are aligned with homologated data.

The tests, which were organised by the French Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy on the Peugeot 208 and Peugeot 508 models, confirm the effectiveness of the after-treatment system in which Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology is positioned upstream of the particulate filter to eliminate up to 90% of the nitrogen oxides (NOx) released by diesel engines and bring NOx emissions down to levels near those of petrol engines.

BlueHDi involves a three stage cleansing process which specifically targets diesel emissions. In stage one, the oxidation catalytic converter eliminates the hydrocarbons (HCs), transforming them into water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2); stage two sees the SCR transform the nitrogen oxides (NOx) into water and nitrogen (N2), the main constituent of air (78%), with the addition of AdBlue® (a mixture of urea and water); and in stage three, a particulate filter reduces the particulates by number by over 99%.

Convinced by SCR's potential, PSA Peugeot-Citroën developed and invested in BlueHDi for deployment in 2013, two years before mandated by regulations. The system was then gradually added as standard equipment on all Euro 6-compliant diesel models. Due to its effective use of SCR technology, the Peugeot 208 1.6 BlueHDi won Next Green Car's Supermini 2015 Award.

PSA Peugeot-Citroën has filed some one hundred patents for BlueHDi technology, which has undergone continuous development with a view to improving performance and cost in time for the new Euro 6.2 emissions standards in September 2017.

The company claims that the latest tests also show that diesel engines maintain their advantage of 15% lower CO2 emissions and 20% greater fuel efficiency.

In addition to diesel power units, Peugeot-Citroën offer line-up of high-performance petrol engines, including the 3-cylinder PureTech (2015 "International Engine of the Year"), which is recognised for its high fuel efficiency and low CO2 emissions. The Group is also currently developing its second generation of electric vehicles, as well as a new range of plug-in petrol hybrids for launch in 2019.

- See more at: Tests confirm effectiveness of PeugeotCitron BlueHDi system | Next Green Car

There's also a simplified YouTube video briefly explaining the step by step process here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTCqjnmBtE8

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

"dragitsflag" puts out a hurry-up propaganda poop piece floated by Renault boardroom PR backrooms. Here's another article on Renault emissions:
Renault plans software patch to cut diesel emissions - News - WSAU News/Talk 550AM 99.9FM

From the article:
Testing by a French government-led commission established after the VW scandal has also found relatively high NOx emissions from Renault models, members have said.

The French carmaker will detail the planned adjustments in March for vehicles with the latest Euro 6 generation of diesels, Bollore told reporters, and begin offering voluntary engine checks to owners four months later.

Based on current production levels, the approximate number of vehicles eligible for checks could approach 700,000, Renault said, but the total ultimately affected and brought in to dealerships is bound to be much lower.....

Renault's relatively poor record on NOx - blamed for a host of respiratory illnesses - contrasts sharply with its achievements in developing diesel and gasoline engines that achieve industry-leading levels of fuel economy, and accompanying low carbon dioxide emissions.

litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

The EU needs to revamp their test cycles; they aren't representative of how the cars are driven in the public. Legal diesels that meet Euro 6 emit more NOx on the road. Petrol cars can also exceed their Euro 6 NOx limits on the road; just not as greatly as diesels do.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

In support of "trollbait", here is a further article on diesel emissions & manufacturers' political maneuvers:
Weak EU tests for diesel emissions are ‘illegal’, say lawyers | Environment | The Guardian

From the article, detailing not only nitrogen pollutions, but particle pollutions:
Every year, around 23,500 Britons die prematurely from inhaling NOx emissions such as nitrogen dioxide (NO2) particles, emitted by diesel engines. Another 29,000 die from inhaling sooty particulate matter, which by both diesel and petrol engines.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

An older article on European air pollution, before the VW CEO boardroom criminal activity came to light:
Air pollution will kill thousands in Europe, EEA warns | Environment | The Guardian

From the article, children & older citizens are targeted by CEO criminal activity to cover their diesel pollutions:

.....diesel engines spew out more particulate matter and nitrogen dioxide than petrol-driven cars, giving rise to breathing difficulties in vulnerable people, such as children and older citizens.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

Trollbait, I think the tests they conducted here were "real world" tests, Citroen/Peugeot etc are some of the first manufacturers to start compiling real world data ready for the RDE tests next year.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Litesong, don't worry about sounding like a broken record, thank God you reminded me yet again that me and me alone, in the only diesel car in Europe, who lives in the middle of nowhere is responsible for everyone dying from Cancer. I'll just have to stop at the liquor store and buy a gallon a whiskey to soften the guilt.

Too bad you're too naive to realise that despite having DOUBLE the population, Europe still has HALF the N0X emissions of the US, where the N0X emissions per capita are nearly 300% higher, and the N0X emissions from transport alone are DOUBLE that of Europe too. I understand your pain and frustration at this and the need to divert the attention away, whilst making your point as personal as possible

Anyway, back on topic...

Old 01-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Litesong, don't worry about sounding like a broken record, thank God you reminded me yet again that me and me alone, in the only diesel car in Europe, who lives in the middle of nowhere is responsible for everyone dying from Cancer. I'll just have to stop at the liquor store and buy a gallon a whiskey to soften the guilt.

Too bad you're too naive to realise that despite having DOUBLE the population, Europe still has HALF the N0X emissions of the US, where the N0X emissions per capita are nearly 300% higher, and the N0X emissions from transport alone are DOUBLE that of Europe too. I understand your pain and frustration at this and the need to divert the attention away, whilst making your point as personal as possible

Anyway, back on topic...
Don't forget that the grain used in whiskey production is produced by diesel powered farm equipment, and farm equipment tends to lag behind in pollution control equipment. So the whiskey has a NOx footprint, too, as well as a carbon footprint. The still probably uses fossil fuel, too. I guess you can go with Scotch whiskey, which might still be produced using peat for fuel.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

On second thoughts then, I'll just pick some fruit, stuff it all in a big jar and wait for it to ferment. Home made cider

Old 01-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

Draigflag, if Europe is doing so well, what's all the fuss about smog enveloping London and Paris due largely to NOX? What's all this talk about restricting diesels in Europe which in the past have been encouraged through tax credits and other govenment decisions? And have you noticed the impact on Volkswagon and its leadership and its shareholders, which you shrug off as a minor matter. Your approach to current events is identical to Baghdad Bob's.

And if you are comparing the US and Europe, as is your fetish, have you looked at the difference in land mass and distances traveled in the respective countries and thus energy per capita needed? No, I guess you didn't.

Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote