Not everyone wants a large diesel engine - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #31
Registered Member

I think it's going to be even tougher to sell a diesel in a half-ton truck if the gasoline models keep getting more efficient. You might be able to sell a diesel when the comparable gasoline model gets 15 MPG or less. But a lot of the newer V8 half-tons are getting closer to 20 MPG these days. And, if you have no need to tow, some of the newer V6's (like the Ram Pentastar & GM 4.3 Ecotec) will do even better than that. As long as regular unleaded stays 70 cents cheaper per gallon than diesel, and the manufacturers keep charging $5,000+ just for the privilege to drive a diesel, you're not going to have much interest, save for the hard-core diesel guys. Or, those who put on 70K+ miles per year.

I remember when diesel was the cheapest pump, and nobody wanted to drive those slow and smokey behemoths. I still think its a great engine technology, but the economics in this country still favor gasoline engines for the average consumer.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #32
Registered Member

Considering what most people are towing, a V6 will do the job. Heck, my Sonic with an Aveo nameplate can handle 1100 hundred pounds, without trailer brakes, across the pond.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfidel View Post
I don't know.

I have a F-350 it pulls 33,000 lbs. 7000 lbs is a bit of a joke compared to the stuff we pull around here.

Thanks the LOL though.

Ignore him, when I moved to europe I couldn't understand people told me to watch out for arrogant eurotrash...then I met some like him and understood it. Fortunately they are few and far between. I took my f-250 to germany and helped haul some stuff for my landlord. He freaked when I loaded two fiats crossways on top of the box and strapped them down. He couldn't believe what it would carry, pallets of roof tiles, no problem, keep loading, yes slide that in and put another pallet on...and another..they had their mouths gapping as the truck pulled away with lots of suspension left.
Dieselmech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #34
Registered Member

Sure hope the arrogant Eurotrash title wasn't meant for me there?...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #35
Registered Member

Walks like a duck......Haven't been on here for a while, came on here and reading through the various threads very quickly realised every comment you made was derogatory towards anything north american. Most of your posts I find quite insulting or offensive.
Actually to anyone in N/A most of your posts would be quite offensive. Have you ever driven a full size pick up? Have you ever hauled 1 1/2 cords of cut&split hardwood in one load before? Piddling around europe in a tiny diesel car does not make you an expert on what N/A needs in diesel trucks. Towing to the racetrack this weekend I got 13mpg at 105kph in my diesel bus which is a motorhome in front and an enclosed car hauler in the rear, it's 53ft long. I was continually passed on the highway by guys in diesel dually's towing a 28-32ft car trailer with two race cars inside, on cruise control at 120-130kph. It was a 4hr haul for me and some tracks are 7hr's from me, if I could jump up another 100hp and get there in 3hr's instead, I'd do it! So don't look down your nose at us and they way we do things just because you do or would do them different.
Sorry for jumping on you but all of your comments towards N/A are way off base.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #36
Registered Member

I'm sorry you feel that way, certain members do feel offended easier than others. It's not my objective, but as you can see from the majority of other posts by other users, most people are happy to discuss maturely my points, observations and opinions. That's what you expect joining an international forum where such things are meant to be discussed.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan1980 View Post
I think it's going to be even tougher to sell a diesel in a half-ton truck if the gasoline models keep getting more efficient. You might be able to sell a diesel when the comparable gasoline model gets 15 MPG or less. But a lot of the newer V8 half-tons are getting closer to 20 MPG these days. And, if you have no need to tow, some of the newer V6's (like the Ram Pentastar & GM 4.3 Ecotec) will do even better than that. As long as regular unleaded stays 70 cents cheaper per gallon than diesel, and the manufacturers keep charging $5,000+ just for the privilege to drive a diesel, you're not going to have much interest, save for the hard-core diesel guys. Or, those who put on 70K+ miles per year.

I remember when diesel was the cheapest pump, and nobody wanted to drive those slow and smokey behemoths. I still think its a great engine technology, but the economics in this country still favor gasoline engines for the average consumer.
Your post is dead on Bryan, two friends just picked up ecoboost f-150's and love them. Good milage when driving around, but beyond excellent when towing. One guy I know at the racetrack traded his new half ton diesel for a 3/4 ton so he could get the cummins. He said milage was great in the 1/2 ton but it wouldn't haul squat, and when he did haul the milage and power was terrible. Personally, if my old 7.3 (175hp) pulls a 4 door one ton with 8ft box around just fine, there's no reason that little diesel dodge is running wouldn't be adequate for most people. It's the crappy dodge truck that's wrapped around it that sucks! LOL!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #38
Registered Member

29 MPG 1/2 ton Dodge truck now! light duty diesel, I am impressed, the gas mileage is super high for a full size pickup. Ram EcoDiesel - Fuel Economy, Power & Efficiency - Ram Trucks and 9200 lbs towing, CRAZY! I admit I was wrong about small engines in trucks, this new Dodge seems amazing.
itripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #39
Registered Member

Interesting, those promasters sold there are Fiat/Citroen and Peugeot here, I had no idea they sold them over there.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #40
Registered Member

They just started selling them last year or so.
Ford is also selling their Euro work van, the Transit, here too.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote