Old 09-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Supporting Member

Saturn TDI for S-Series

Hello -

I just found this over at saturnfans :

Saturn TDI
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...41#post1128641
Quote:
Heres a thread from the Sixthsphere.com forums of what I've been up to.

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum2/vi...=311131#311131
Quote:
This came about from the first big price spike in oil we had a couple years ago. I had done some reading on running a diesel on vegetable oil and biodiesel, and the idea of running my wagon on it became very appealing. Thus was born the idea of swapping a diesel into a Saturn, and a couple years of reading, researching, and thinking. The project finally got started in early August with the purchase of a 1.9 litre VW Jetta TDI drivetrain, and mocking it up into a 1995 SL2 to sort it all out before making the swap into my '95 SW2. Most of the time I've spent on it so far is in getting the motor located and fabricating the mounts. Once I get it bolted in place, I can forge ahead with the axles, shift linkage, wiring, cooling system, and intercooler plumbing.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hope he can pull more than 50MPG with that setup. Will be interested to see this project through and see the outcome.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

...why?

I could see doing this with an ultra-low-weight car, but why move a TDI from a VW to a Saturn..?

I guess if you had a non-running Saturn and a TDI engine just sitting around, then it might make sense, but otherwise you would be MUCH better off just getting a VW with a TDI in it to begin with!!!
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Erdrick -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
...why?
Because he can! If he's registered at sixthsphere, then he is probably a Saturn junkie.

Quote:
I could see doing this with an ultra-low-weight car, but why move a TDI from a VW to a Saturn..?
He may be going from 3000 lbs to 2300+ lbs. But, again, see above.

Quote:
I guess if you had a non-running Saturn and a TDI engine just sitting around, then it might make sense, but otherwise you would be MUCH better off just getting a VW with a TDI in it to begin with!!!
See above.

CarloSW2

Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

So far I've seen 'em stuffed in a Suzuki Samurai, Toyota pickup, and all sorts of VWs (Corrado, Rabbit, etc...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
A Saturn weighs as much as an older VW, and has half the drag coefficient/reference area. Should be good for ~70-80mpg@55mph.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Supporting Member

omgwtfbyobbq -

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
So far I've seen 'em stuffed in a Suzuki Samurai, Toyota pickup, and all sorts of VWs (Corrado, Rabbit, etc...).A Saturn weighs as much as an older VW, and has half the drag coefficient/reference area. Should be good for ~70-80mpg@55mph.
Thanks for the correction. I was going off of the curb weight of the newer 2006 models.

CarloSW2

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Wow, considering the only four door TDI available was the Jetta, that engine's gonna have ~1000lbs less to pull around. It'll be similar to a TDI in a bunny, some of which run high 13s quarter miles w/ mods and can get ~50mpg@70mph, except it'll be a little slower, and get significantly better highway mileage.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Supporting Member

omgwtfbyobbq -

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Wow, considering the only four door TDI available was the Jetta, that engine's gonna have ~1000lbs less to pull around. It'll be similar to a TDI in a bunny, some of which run high 13s quarter miles w/ mods and can get ~50mpg@70mph, except it'll be a little slower, and get significantly better highway mileage.
I think I will ask him more questions on saturnfans and/or join sixthsphere because there is a sixthsphere "member-only" thread on his "how to do it" musings over the last year or two.

CarloSW2

Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Alright then, I stand... informed. Perhaps I should have looked at some weight references before commenting.

I should say that I own a Jetta TDI.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

It's np. If I lost a tooth for every time I had to stick my foot in my mouth I'd need dentures before I hit thirty.