The new Ford diesel - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

I don't want you guys to feel offended, non of it is the fault of the people, it's 100% down to the poor decision making of the Government, and the greed of private energy companies. It's the same story all over the globe, profits and taxes before human lives and the environment.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rfruth
Ah yes the government knows what is best -New federal rule would permit thousands of eagle deaths - San Antonio Express-News

rfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004LB7 View Post
In the US. The emissions laws are geared more for reducing nox and allows for more co2 & co. In Europe, it is mostly the other way around. Since diesel commonly produce more nox and less co2 & co then there gas counterparts it makes it harder in the US the meet the emmissions standards. But in Europe, it is easier for diesel.

As for taking emissions seriously, that is debatable as the "science" differs on which one is more important depending on who is paying for the research.

Since we know that co is poisonous to us and other animals. The nox takes more time and quantity to have an ill effect. I would say diesel is better for the environment then gas. Because of this i think Europe wins.
As long as those animals aren't in an enclosed garage with a running car, they'll be fine.

NOx is a precursor for smog, which causes negative health and quality of life impacts for large populations. The chemistry of smog production can get complicated. In some US cities the main cause are VOCs, and more NOx might reduce the smog levels.

Trucking is a big source for NOx. In 2018, IIRC, the glider loophole will be closed. Currently, the emission certifications of a large commercial truck are linked to the engine alone. So trucking companies would buy a new glider, the truck sans engine and transmission, and just install an older, rebuilt engine, that doesn't meet current emission regs. When the loop hole is closed, the emission certs will be tied to the glider.

So the US is addressing its pollution, perhaps not at a rate some like, but it is.

CO2 emission from cars is purely a function of fuel type and economy. Diesel emits more per gallon than gasoline, but makes up for some of that by being more efficient. The higher CAFE targets will reduce the CO2 emissions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Hey, we're working on it. We're putting up wind farms hither and yon to kill as many raptors and migrators as possible, oh, and yeah, it'll produce a speck of power that won't amount to anything in the grand scheme of things but it will allow the likes of Gore, Obama etc. to make all sorts of wild claims and siphon off all sorts of funds.
Texas' power grid had 9% wind power back in 2014. It has and is growing. A windy 17 hours had the wind farms powering 40% of the state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Texas
Texas Sets New All-Time Wind Energy Record - Scientific American Blog Network

The bird kill was an issue of older wind farms. The wind mill blades spun faster, and the farms were sited without knowledge of migratory paths. We now know better, and new designs and sites take this into account. Birds will still die, but at lower rates, and new wind mills won't reduce the number of raptors getting fried on power poles. If they replace coal, they'll reduce the amount of mercury fish eating birds and people are exposed too.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Registered Member

Damn right you won't! I'm glad I don't have to worry about charging my truck, I love the smell of diesel in the morning!
Redneckrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

It's ok bud, at least I can run my truck off of biodiesel, regular diesel, farm diesel, JP8, JP5, Jet fuel 1, and Jet fuel 1A. The only new ford engine I'll get is the 7.3 twin turbo, or maybe a cat, just so I can roll even more lol
Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Diesel will play a very important part in the future of C02 targets. It has in Europe for a decade or two, and now it sounds like the US is starting to take emissions more seriously too.
There only 2 states that do emissions tests, Comifornia and Colorado. All I gota do is remove my chip in Colorado and I pass
Old 07-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckrich View Post
There only 2 states that do emissions tests, Comifornia and Colorado. All I gota do is remove my chip in Colorado and I pass
That's not even remotely correct. See here.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #18
Registered Member

I didn't know those states did emission tests, I know for Colorado, I pass every time I remove my SCT toner/scanner
Old 07-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rfruth
Not only does Texas do emissions testing but they can tell if a Ford diesel has been 'chipped' even if the factory chip is reinstalled (something about monitoring torque & HP curves) anyway be careful out there big brother may be watching

rfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfruth View Post
Not only does Texas do emissions testing but they can tell if a Ford diesel has been 'chipped' even if the factory chip is reinstalled (something about monitoring torque & HP curves) anyway be careful out there big brother may be watching
My VW TDI was never tested for emissions, AFAIK. Of course, the VW software was pretty smart, so maybe it was tested and passed.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote