Where's the Savings? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Where's the Savings?

Tomarrow I go look at an 86 Golf Diesel, I have been in the search for a long time and I find that ever since the 85 cent rise in diesel prices, all the bio diesel is up at 4.66 when I can get diesel at 4.29. I live and work in Baltimore and travel to Virginia, D.C., and Philladelphia weekly. I have been crawling all over the net for bio diesel stations and can't find any. The one I found was was in northern Maryland near Delaware and they wanted 4.66 a gallon. Then I decided to check on SVO, the cheapest I can get a gallon of SVO was 5.26 at Walmart, Costco wanted 8.30 a gallon, if you bought it in a 5 gallon or 10 gallon drum. So aside from hitting every local fast food for WVO, diesel still seems to be the most convenient and cost effective route. Am I missing something?

After reading everything I could on bio diesel, I would rather do a 50/50 SVO/diesel mix or WVO 50/50 mix, the corrosivness of bio diesel scared me away from it. The only way I'd run bio diesel is to mix 50% bio with 25% diesel, and 25% SVO.

Now the car I get I'll do all the tricks to: LLR tires, belly pan, HHO and amonia injection, if I can find Bozio nozzles, I'll install them, and grafting on a turbo from a Jetta diesel. I want to get the stock 40-50 mpg up to 70, you know every trick I can, before this gas crisis thing kills my job and I wind up working at Walmart.

Currently where I live, Unleaded is 3.56 and Diesel is at 4.33, I found some great bloggers in Germany who said, once diesel went over 7 dollars a gallon they all started hitting the grocery stores for SVO so bad they ration it now. America can easily catch up with Europe, summer is going to be expensive.

So does anyone know of a good site that reports where to get bio diesel or where I can get SVO cheaper than diesel? My other alternative is to store heating oil in my oil tank and run on that, your thoughts?

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

+1

I just spent 2 days getting up to speed with the SVO scene and came back with the same conclusion. Plus it's not even legal on public roads. Electric is probably the way to go.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Edible, food grade, veg oil is cheap in comparison to edible petroleum diesel.
The advantage to the 86 Golf is that its older, pre-chamber head design is much more tolerant of the variations in veg oil. The TDI with their direct injection system and their much higher injection pressures aren't as tolerant.
Corrosiveness of biodiesel? Not if it's made properly to ASTM specifications. The ph of the finished product is nearly neutral. It will require an amount of base to neutralize the acidic veg oil for the transesterification to work, but it's the original oil that is more corrosive than the biodiesel.
There is (was) a major firm with a series of biodiesel sales outlets along the mid-Atlantic coast. I'll see if I can find it and append this post.

That didn't take long, did it?
I just entered < biodiesel Baltimore > into my search engine of choice...
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Am I missing something?

After reading everything I could on bio diesel, I would rather do a 50/50 SVO/diesel mix or WVO 50/50 mix, the corrosivness of bio diesel scared me away from it. The only way I'd run bio diesel is to mix 50% bio with 25% diesel, and 25% SVO.
Why not run dino diesel regularly? It has more Btu's than bio diesel. Sure, you will have the flexibility to do other things, but in the beginning, use diesel to get yourself sorted out on your LLR tires, etc.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

Some things are a nice idea..... right up until everybody starts doing it......
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetone marty View Post
Look at water4gas website on building a hydrogen electrolyzer for your diesel. My buddy built a 6 pack for his 87 ford diesel truck and gained almost 10 mpg now with the addition of 2 oz acetone per 10 U.S gallons he has gaind total 12mpg. Started 22mpg now almost 34 mpg
Have them post it up.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #7

Tomorrow is now today but by the time you might read this today will actually be yesterday. In short----did you pick up the Golf? How many miles on it? Description?
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks Lug Nut, just entered biodiesel baltimore and got 11 stations with B2 and B99 biodiesel. I check the car out on Sunday, its a daily driver and the guy is pretty eco smart, so the car seems to be well taken care of. I'll start out with straight diesel at first, then add biodiesel, SVO, a quart of gasoline, and some acetone. I figure I'll get the mix right over time, plus HHO and I came up with amonia bubbler. Learning from Mercedes Blutech, I plan to use a battery fish tank air pump, through a bubbler in a quart of amonia and let the vapors flow into the intake.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
... so the car seems to be well taken care of. I'll start out with straight diesel at first, then add biodiesel, SVO, a quart of gasoline, and some acetone. I figure I'll get the mix right over time, plus HHO and I came up with amonia bubbler.
WAS well taken care of...
Your original post mentioned nothing about gasoline, acetone or other fluids you think might work because they fit in the fuel tank.
Even the use of SVO or WVO requires significant fuel system modifications to operate.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

Use Dino with maybe 2-5% Biodiesel ratio. You will get the lubrication benefits without the possible problems. You can get "PowerService" silver bottle from any WalMart ect. and add that if there are no good sources for biodiesel. It will raise the cetane numbers (makes diesel more prone to combustion) and the "slick" in the PowerService is just biodiesel anyway.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote