Why don't we have small Isuzu diesel pickups? Why!!?? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
This leaves me confused and/or in disagreement.

If you are talking about the Olds diesel, I was not aware the cylinders were sleeved. All info I've seen indicates a plain cast iron block. Also I've read and heard that many of the problems that engine suffered were because of maltreatment suffered at the hands of owners and mechanics that didn't know better- automotive people here didn't have diesel experience then so they were doing stupid things like over-using starting fluid when they didn't have the right fuel for cold weather in the tank and such. There was a head gasket problem early on but I understand in typical GM fashion they fixed that later on. I hear of them racking up really high mileages with good power and economy too.
Supposedly, the later "generation" GM diesels in the cars were MUCH better, but the PR damage was done. A friend Ohio knew a guy 15 odd years ago in that would buy them up and send them to his brother in the Czech Republic......who in turn, sent Tatra 603s and 613s back. Both made money on their respective sides of the Atlantic.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #12
Registered Member

...the Cummings in the Dodge trucks is supposedly of European origins, then how soon we forget the VW motors that Volvo used in the 200 and 700 series cars.

-Emil Faber
Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #13
Registered Member

Odd Sighting This Morning

I was in another part of the city this morning for a birthday get-together and stopped for some RH77-fuel (coffee). I got returned to my car and heard this rattling monstrousity to my left. It was a late 80's Range Rover.

Now, the driver left it running but I didn't mind...

The plot thickens.

It turns out he converted Rover over to Bio-Diesel! He had to leave it running or else it would gel-up in the mid-20's temps -- kind of a work in progress. I guess he needed an off-roader/SUV without the guilt. It just struck me as odd because I don't see very many Diesel cars with green "Bio-Diesel" stickers around here (...and we have soybeans galore!)

RH77
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Registered Member

Funny too

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
The plot... or the fuel?

Geez, if the dude was spending 20 minutes getting a coffee I'm sure he could shut it down for that long without anything getting cold. He seriously needs to finish a fuel heating system.

When I see vehicles idling I always take pity on the poor owner as they must have had to go to great lengths to get it started- poor vehicle must need to be crank started, or towed, or some drastic measure was needed; surely it took more than a turn of the key.
LOL -- I can see it now -- they had to push it down the street, use a rope to pull the block free from the clutch and jump in before it got away. Sheesh.

It was rather funny, as he let it idle -- he had a second set of keys to lock the door, and he nervously made sure it was locked. I'm sure he spent some time on the project. But yes, I agree -- he needs to get a heated fuel system going to "do it up right". Seems foolish otherwise.

RH77
Old 11-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
I'd like to build my armed and armored B100/electric-fueled BATTLETRUCK idea. That would be pretty cool. Or build a B100 powered dune buggy, with a body based on the Model T Metro MPG posted pictures of, a 300+ HP turbodiesel engine, and a huge 40+ gallon tank.

A biodiesel Range Rover would have nothing on something as mentioned above!
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

Blast the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I'd like to build my armed and armored B100/electric-fueled BATTLETRUCK idea. That would be pretty cool. Or build a B100 powered dune buggy, with a body based on the Model T Metro MPG posted pictures of, a 300+ HP turbodiesel engine, and a huge 40+ gallon tank.

A biodiesel Range Rover would have nothing on something as mentioned above!
When the BATTLETRUCK comes together, I'd like to borrow/rent it if I may (being a fellow Missourian ) to blast the **** out of "Mall-Rated" Jeeps and cell-phone wielding yuppies in their Euro-Imports. Yes, I'm bitter.

Of course, I'd replace the ammo upon return, and the B100

RH77
Old 11-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
She would come complete with a camoflauge paintjob, a Gadsden flag banner over the rear aeroshell, and a bunch of NRA bumperstickers plastered about the rear. The more than 1 ton of battery weight would add additional stability and crushing force.

I bet that engine in that Range Rover is a thing of beauty, even if the choice of vehicle may not be the best.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Must have been a grey market Range Rover, diesels were never sold here offically. I have only seen one stateside. Where I lived in Ohio, there were quite a few real (grey market) G-wagons with 2.3l four petrol or assorted diesels. Ditto with Unimogs. Unfortunately, my Unimog experience was an oldie with a petrol six (Fintail/Ponton motor) with ZERO torque.

-Emil Faber
Old 11-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #19
Supporting Member

I picked up a chevette diesel a few months back for 200 bucks. it needs a fair bit of work, but once its done it'll replace my gas chevette. I'll probably do a duel tank setup for bio in one and wvo in the other, except in winter of course.
GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
I picked up a chevette diesel a few months back for 200 bucks. it needs a fair bit of work, but once its done it'll replace my gas chevette. I'll probably do a duel tank setup for bio in one and wvo in the other, except in winter of course.
'Vettes are cool, I had a 1978 4 door hatch many many many years ago. I used to bounce mine off snowbanks for fun.

-Emil Faber