Accent Grille Block Material Suggestions? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
the larger cut off wheels do work better but the potato chip cut off wheels were on hand and came in the accessory kit with the dremel.
By "potato chip" you mean those super thin disc type wheels, right? Don't own a Dremel.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Yeah, he means the super thin abrasive discs. The diamond wheels I was talking about are the same exact size and shape, not larger; they're just tougher, made of metal.

$4 @ Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31501

Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
Registered Member

Those as fragile as they look? I had fun grinding some welds on my homemade rip fence before I bought an angle grinder. I used my bench grinder. VERY good arm workout!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The diamond-coated metal ones I posted above are tough as nails, I haven't managed to hurt one yet and I abuse the hell out of 'em. You can cut with them, patiently or by shoving too hard; you can also grind with their surface.

The cheap abrasive ones that come with every dremel, usually in a can of a few dozen, are absolutely useless, I don't know how anyone cuts anything with them. I only have to look at them sideways and they break.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #25
Registered Member

those chip disks are actually better than the ones I use. mine are the same material thourghout. just a hole in the center.

depending on what you are cutting, it will actually burn the disc down. cutting some metal tubing, I actually used one up before I broke it. I think that is a first (for me anyways). if you put any pressure on it at all from the side or twist it in the material it will snap. I usually break it getting it out of the drill or when I go to get it for another project. you don't buy one though, you get a small container with like 25 or so in it.

I have seen the metal ones, they are nice and the one I saw was much larger. not sure if my dremel would handle it. I have the really cheap one. I think it is a lite?

*edit* cow, you beat me to it. those are the ones and they are difficult to work with but I never think about it when I am in town to get any of the others.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #26
Registered Member

How thick does grille block material reasonably have to be if well supported behind it? Actually, let me be more specific: how thin could it be? I've got some weird ideas for adjustable grille blocks and the moving part would have to be flexible if any curving of the block were required.

My front grill and the horizontal bar and Hyundai logo can all come out pretty easily, although I don't want to do anything that can't be reversed in less than 15 minutes or so in case I need to use my warranty. I plan to keep the tools needed to do so in the trunk just in case.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #27
Site Team / Moderator

Duct tape works as a temporary grille block. As long as the material you choose is structurally sound at that thickness you're ok.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #28
Registered Member

Turns out I do have a temp sensor after all! Seems pretty obvious now that I've spotted it, so I'm not sure how I missed the description in the manual. Oops. It displays a red thermometer if the temperature of the coolant gets above 253.4 +/- 37.4 F. So at least I don't need to bother rigging anything to the fan. Obviously I can be pretty vigilant when testing, but I sort of wish it had a buzzer in case later on it comes on and I don't notice it right away. I guess I could rig one and I'm pretty sure I have a couple 12VDC buzzers lying around.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #29
Registered Member

Hey,

I have the 2008 Accent. I bought some 1 inch pipe insulation. The grey foam kind and cut them to fit in the gaps. The fit snug and they stayed stuck as they expanded. They look pretty good too.

I did it because I am in Canada and wanted to block the cold air coming into the engine compartment. Worked like a charm! They stayed in place all winter. I have a ScanGuage and used it to watch the cold ait intake and engine temps. The engine warmed quickley and stayed warm longer. Cost me $7, 5 minutes to install and my local hardware store had them in stock.
Eyeteaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #30
Registered Member

Interesting idea! I have some of that lying around.

A slightly more refined version could involve cutting some foam to fit. Think I chucked some 2" foam board but I'll take a look.

co de pen den cy