Accent Grille Block Material Suggestions? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #51
Registered Member

Wait a sec. I assume that your front bumper's got a lot of stuff going on behind it, right? Bumpery type stuff, presumably. I just ask because if for some weird reason there was a clear space and you were willing to cut into it it'd make one slick setup. Long shot, but worth asking about anyway.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 AM   #52
Registered Member

the large white "bumper" that you see is actually the bumper cover and yes it extends past the bumper and I could potentially trim it forward some. I have some room to play with.

this would be the point where more pictures would tell the tale. I'll work on that one. this is an area that I could potentially improve my vehicle.

time is the big killer for me. since my daughter came around, time seems to be in short supply. I still like to toy with the idea and if I get a wild hair, I may do something so ideas are good to have. that way when the wild hair comes, I can act on it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 AM   #53
Registered Member

"Wild hair" is a new expression to me! I sympathize with your time issues, and certainly there's no hurry. I was doing a little thinking about an automated system and it doesn't need to be very complicated at all. Assuming a 12VDC reversible gearhead motor were driving it (they are pretty cheap surplus), it'd look something like this:

if( too hot ) {
rotate more open until it gets better or until I hit the limit switch
}
if( too cold ) {
rotate more closed until it gets better or until I hit the other limit switch
}

As long as your motor moved pretty slow (so you didn't overshoot) that ought to do the job. In theory if you had a couple temperature switches you wouldn't even need any electronics, although some minor stuff to guard against shorts and things would be a good idea.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #54
Registered Member

a little OT but i think your accent is the same colour as mine is i got an '04 2dr.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #55
Registered Member

Are you happy with it so far?

co de pen den cy

Old 04-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #56
Registered Member

very happy actually. not sure why you were having a problem with coasting, mine is great
Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #57
Registered Member

My ex's 2001 Hyundai Elantra coasted much better. It's still a bit of a mystery.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #58
Registered Member

I was looking at your pictures again, and was wondering if a horizontal flap, hinged at the back and just at the level of the bottom of your bumper might work. As it hinged down, it'd form a ramp that would funnel air upwards towards your radiator. The material would need to be reasonably strong, but some reinforcement with pieces of angle iron or possibly the use of corrugated material would work. To move it, a linear actuator in the center should do the job. Easier to have one than a few separate ones. I can draw a picture if this is unclear.

As far as control, a really slow motor is key to keeping it simple. That way you don't have to worry about overshooting the right position. As you'd only need a single speed the electronics to slow a DC motor would be extremely simple.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #59
Registered Member

I whipped up a crude pic. Obviously it could open more than 45 degrees, but that was easy to draw. Wouldn't need to be totally blocked when raised either.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 AM   #60
Registered Member

I guess you could also have the panel hinged at the bottom of the grey section and have it angle up to towards the bumper. It would lower down to let it more air. I guess this would funnel air under the car so is a bad idea. I keep thinking about pointed nosecones.

co de pen den cy