Aeroing a Pickup Truck - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Aeroing a Pickup Truck (Aero guys needed for specifics!)

Hey guys, I have a 1/2 ton 96 Chevy Pickup RCLB I am working to get the best milage I can out of. I'm about 19 tops right now. I think with even better driving I can break 20. I would like to see how others have modded the aerodynamics of their trucks for the better. I think I am going to build a cap like this one. I need to build it light to ensure I get a good enough ain to make up for the weight.

I'm reading about grill blocking, and am thinking about messing with a HHO gen.

Any help is awesome!

Thanks

Old 06-14-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
For non-truck members here: "RCLB" means Regular Cab, Long (8') Bed.

Welcome. If you're willing to drive around with something like that, I bet it would really help. I remember at some point there was a commercial product that was made like a convertible top with cloth and clear plastic, and either stretched from anchor points or stretched over a frame (like a tent), and it was in that same sloped shape. Perhaps you could build something like that? It would certainly be lightweight.

Looking at your garage entry, I have a couple comments...

You're doing great already. 17.44mpg is damn fine for any full size pickup, even though yours should be relatively more efficient than many others.

You didn't write anything about engine or transmissions; I'd guess that it's a V8 and a 4 speed auto.

You made a mistake entering the EPA estimates; it looks like you mixed up the "highway" and "combined" numbers.

Removing your spare probably makes zero difference. In a 2000 pound 1992 Civic VX or Geo Metro, sure, removing 50 pounds helps...but in a 4000 pound V8 pickup, you'll never measure the difference. If you're comfortable without it, fine, but if you think you might ever need it, go ahead and keep carrying it.

For your next set of tires once these wear out, get some Load Range E tires, which are easy to find in your size. They can go up to 80psi. 80 might be a bit much under your empty bed but it will be good at the front end, maybe 65 at the rear when unloaded (obviously, decide for yourself by driving).

You should probably be able to break 20, easily if you do mostly highway driving. Take a look at my truck's gaslog, I'm over 19 with a more wasteful more powerful engine and my truck is an ECRB, probably less aerodynamic despite newer styling. My driving is only 40% highway, the other 60% is country/town roads.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Fancy sounding rig (the tent like thing) I am willing to do this cuz I drive about 100kms round trip to school 5 days a week Sept-April... and its 80km/hr roads, so I think it would help. Alot of my driving in the summer would be considered city (drive to work is 8 mins on a bad day)

Thanks on 17.44. I had a full load in the box on most the tank and pulled a full trailer for about 80kms too.

I have the 4.3L V6 and 4 spd auto.

Fixed the EPA numbers. (woohoo beating epa!!)

I don't carry a jack or much in the way of tools either so I'll prob just leave the spare off.

Right now I'm majority city driving, with work being so close, but the missus lives 35 mins away, so milage counts there too

I'll check out your gaslog now, and keep mine updated! I know I'll beat 20 on mine.

My idea with the aerocap is to build somewhat permanent sides, and a removable pop up lid like a hard tonneau (I carry my atv around in the box now and then too) So I can still use it like a truck when needed!

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

heck i have a 4 banger truck and dont notice the spareand jack being in there or not. i just leave it in there cuz knowing my luck it would probably get a flat at a bad time (like 2 am) and/or in a crappy area. you might as well leave it in there because well for one your truck (and every truck in existance) is build for towing/hauling i bet you could add 100 lbs in the bed with sandbags and not notice a mpg difference (especially with a v6 or 8) so ~50lbs of spare tire and the jack that weighs like 4 lbs is not going to affect mpg...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
heck i have a 4 banger truck and dont notice the spareand jack being in there or not. i just leave it in there cuz knowing my luck it would probably get a flat at a bad time (like 2 am) and/or in a crappy area. you might as well leave it in there because well for one your truck (and every truck in existance) is build for towing/hauling i bet you could add 100 lbs in the bed with sandbags and not notice a mpg difference (especially with a v6 or 8) so ~50lbs of spare tire and the jack that weighs like 4 lbs is not going to affect mpg...

I didn't say it was to increase milage.... The jack had been left in the bed of the truck one too many times and was pretty much useless cuz of rust. Same goes for the spare, I'm pretty sure the rim would rust through before I got anywhere. Better idea for me would be to go out and buy new of each, but really, I'm not overly worried about it.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atclarkson View Post
My idea with the aerocap is to build somewhat permanent sides, and a removable pop up lid like a hard tonneau (I carry my atv around in the box now and then too) So I can still use it like a truck when needed!
I think something like that would make using it as a truck more difficult. If you use fabric/plastic/tarp/etc, you can fold it up and stuff it anywhere. With hard stuff (fiberglass or plywood, I'd guess) you're going to have to find a place for it.

Have you considered a second vehicle? I drive 80 miles (128km) round trip to work 5 days per week, and my brand-new VW lease as a second car pays for itself (including insurance, gas, etc) almost entirely on gas savings alone -- and then there's maintenance savings, and not having to replace the truck in a few years. Your situation of course differs, but I bet a pretty decent used car can pay for itself while you still keep the truck for truck work.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
I didn't say it was to increase milage.... The jack had been left in the bed of the truck one too many times and was pretty much useless cuz of rust. Same goes for the spare, I'm pretty sure the rim would rust through before I got anywhere. Better idea for me would be to go out and buy new of each, but really, I'm not overly worried about it.
doesnt it have a plastic bubble box thing behind the seat? my 95 s-10 does dont know why a fullsize wouldnt...

and yes the rim does get rusty under there. just snag a junkyard rim and tire (doesnt even have to be a good tire, mines pretty much bald) and rustoleum paint it to prevent rust.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

good point on the stowability (is that a word?) of a soft cover. I'll def keep that in mind.

a second car probably would make sense, except for I really like my truck because its a truck, I sit higher and safer than most vehicles on the road. I'm also 6'4 and its just more comfortable for me to ride in.

I had the bubble behind the seat, but took it out when I put bucket seats in. (they are as far back as they will go) I'll prob try and salvage my spare and find a new jack... it's likely a good thing to keep.

keep tossing the cap ideas at me... has anyone built one of these? (I found last night someone who had... I forget where it was tho, it was a ford superduty with a huge airdam and a soft aerocap)

Thanks again
Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yeah, the comfort is why I was afraid of getting a small car. I've never been as comfortable as I am in my truck. I cut my shopping short when I test-drove the VW; I sat in it and felt at home, it was almost exactly like sitting in the truck except for the height and the leg angle. The console is low enough that my knees won't get bruised against it (like they did in my '97 Grand Am), the arm positions are perfect, the controls are in reach, etc.

In my truck, the jack is stored unpackaged behind/under the rear seat. It could also easily be placed in empty space under the hood.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
keep tossing the cap ideas at me... has anyone built one of these? (I found last night someone who had... I forget where it was tho, it was a ford superduty with a huge airdam and a soft aerocap)

found it... User Big Dave here.

http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/1114

would like to build something similar, but possibly with more permanent sides on it. (like a long racerback)