Air dam on 2007 Prius - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

The cool thing is that I really don't care what you think. And second of all I don't think that I bothered you. I believe that you are the one that decide to reply to my thread. I just think you are mad because you drive a old Tempo and there is no way that you will ever get the mpg that some of us do. So, if you do not have anything constructive to say then why don't you find something else do.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Registered Member

Whatever. I did not see much "constructive criticism" in what he posted.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
Registered Member

Well billy, you really shouldn't stop taking your meds like that, you know it only sets you back.

I re-read my post, and there ain't a single word of it that's wrong. Not only that, there's no attitude in it either- that's all you, buddy. Perhaps you should look at it again as well.

You wanna try ta argue with math, go ahead:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ght=short+fill

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ght=small+fill

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4016

There's more discussion here on GS too (oh yes, it's constructive) but I ain't gonna do all your homework for ya- how else are ya gonna learn?

Since you brought it up, though, I love my crappy old Tempo! I'm not mad or jealous cuz I could put- what do Prius' cost new these days?- three or four new ones in my driveway tomorrow w/o financing ifn I wanted ta. Thing is, they won't get me from Point A to Point B any faster or more comfortably or more reliably than my old P.O.S. Say- doesn't the average Prius owner get about the SAME mileage as I'm getting?

Maybe you should figure out your cents/mile costs and get back to me on how great your car is...

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ighlight=cents

"My last 6 mo. period (these figures are from a few months ago):

3734 miles
103.27 gallons gas used
Average fuel cost $2.275/gallon
Registration for 6 mo: $20
Insurance cost for 6 mo: $126
An oil change: $7
No other costs I can think of but lets throw on the $50 per year average cost of parts and whatnot I've spent.

So:
$234.94 fuel cost
6.3 cents per mile fuel cost alone
11.1 cents per mile total"

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 AM   #14
Registered Member

Prius has that wacky bladder, too, making it even more susceptible to weird stuff on short fills. But, everyone gets to do whatever they want, so do what you want, Billy. I know I do.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #15
Registered Member

People! Mountains <> molehills.

- billynjoanna says he's NOT doing short fills. I suspect what he's doing is entering trip segments, back calculated using a tool at GreenHybrid to compensate for the fact that the Prius doesn't have a SG equivalent "trip"/"today" fuel consumption metric. He's entering the segments as fills here, to keep track.

- it also looks like an over-reaction to theclencher's "Ya don't bother with those short fills" statement. I didn't see anything inflammatory in clencher's comment, but it sure triggered a response.

Everybody step away from your keyboards and chill for a minute. Maybe re-read before you reply?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #16
Registered Member

That said, I'm happy to see a Prius owner not afraid to get in there with some aero mods. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

(I'd also love to see some rear wheel skirts on a Prius - I'm not aware of anyone having done that yet )
Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #17
Registered Member

It's definitely good to see someone work on a new Prius.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #18
Registered Member

Yeah, I don't want billy to go away either. But if he wants a lil slap, I'll give one. His gaslog does contain an admission that he has temper issues so... meditate or medicate. Also the gaslog shows some short fills at different prices, so they sure look like actual short fills from the log. Maybe there's a cute cashier at the gas station that is worth ogling every day?

Also from Edmunds: '04 Prius 42cents/mile http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/toy...26481/cto.html

Average real world FE: 41.2 mpg http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...3/article.html

I've known quite a few guys that play gas tank games. One of them believed that by always driving around with less than 1/4 tank, that would force him to drive in an economical manner. That also meant daily trips to the gas station. Another always puts $5 worth in at a time- supposedly, hedging in case the next station he comes across is cheaper. Lordy, one time I rode with to help him get a load, and we stopped for gas three times AND RAN OUT LATER and had to walk to town and pay a premium to get some off a homeowner who happened to have some in a gas can. Can you say stooooopid?

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #19
Registered Member

Well, just so you know I do take meds for my temper. I did re-read The Clencher's post. Sorry about the blowup. That gets me road rage also. I'm working on it.
The reason for the different price is because I write down the lowest price on gas on my way to work so that I know where to fill up when I need to. I also keep up with each trip to and from work because I am trying to find the shorts and most productive route.
I am getting a scangauge so that I can get better numbers. But, I do use greenhrid's web site to do my calulation right now.
Anyway I will take the challenge of rear wheel skirts. I will post as soon as I get them on.

William
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
One of them believed that by always driving around with less than 1/4 tank, that would force him to drive in an economical manner.
I think there may be something to that argument. Not to mention the weight savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billynjoanna View Post
Anyway I will take the challenge of rear wheel skirts. I will post as soon as I get them on.
Cool. But to be honest, I don't expect there would be as large an improvement with skirts on a Prius as on many other cars, because the design around the rear wheel arch is already pretty good: good tire coverage; no flare to the arch; smaller than avg. tire-arch gap.

Still worth doing though.