Anyone tried Poster Board or Duct Tape? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
Registered Member

I'm currently using multiple layers of clear packaging tape for my upper grill block. It works great, IMHO. Of course, I haven't taken it off yet, so I don't know what kind of clean up I might run into.

Skwyre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

No one has addressed posterboard yet, also known as foam-core. While a great prototyping material (lightweight, easily cuttable, fairly stiff), it won't last against the elements very well. The outer laminations are paper, and will soak through when exposed to water, unless you seal it (most tapes work fine).

Gaffers tape is preferred over duct tape because it can be removed cleanly. It is more expensive, though.

zef95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Registered Member

I used duck tape and cut up laundry box on my Honda for a while. Just to make sure that it didn't overheat in the summer. Once that showned that was going to be no problem, I used fiberglass cloth and resin to finalize radiator block, and painted to match. Cardboard or posterboard won't last long if driven in the rain.
LarryClapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I used cardboard as a radiator block. I spraypainted it and it survived a few rains before I was confident that the car wasn't going to overheat.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Supporting Member

Duct tape has some limited uses for car aerodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergt View Post
it might sound stupid but im just curious and for the duct tape...has anyone used it for the grill block?
Ever watch the "Red Green" show?

Duct tape is fine for "quick and duty" fixes, but it just doesn't seem to hold up well to heavy use. For example, there is actually a fair amount of air flow (wind) that a grill block needs to withstand, and in general duct tape isn't up to the challenge (at least, not for very long).

Also, as another poster mentioned, the duct tape glue can cause problems for some surfaces, so be careful where you attach duct tape. It's probably OK to tape to plastic panels (as I use duct tape for), but you might affect your paint job (or even trigger some rust) if you tape to the car's metal surface.

However, I have still used duct tape in some situations with success. It doesn't hold up very long as a "grill block" (but will work in a pinch), but in some other situations it has less stress on the tape and will work OK. For example, my CRX has many mini plastic covers on its underbelly. While those plastic covers help smooth the air flow some, they still have many bolt holes and other cracks to catch the wind. So to smooth out the underbelly's air flow, I just put sturdy duct tape on those plastic underbelly panels to fill in (smooth the fair flow over) those remaining holes/cracks. Since I'm taping over the plastic panels anyway (not taping to the car's metal), I'm not exactly concerned about the tape glue hurting any surfaces. And if/when I ever do need to remove a panel (to have work done on the car), I'll simply remove the tape (and put fresh tape on later).
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
Registered Member

I used Gorilla brand tape on cardboard here in Portland, land of rain, and it held up great, until I took it off to use a modified (stretched out) mesh garbage can, so a little air could get through.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis View Post
Ever watch the "Red Green" show?

<snip>
Worked pretty good as a hinge for a "gull-wing" door conversion they did on an old Ford Granada...or was it a Fairmont? Been a long time since I saw that one...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef95 View Post
No one has addressed posterboard yet, also known as foam-core. While a great prototyping material (lightweight, easily cuttable, fairly stiff), it won't last against the elements very well. The outer laminations are paper, and will soak through when exposed to water, unless you seal it (most tapes work fine).

Gaffers tape is preferred over duct tape because it can be removed cleanly. It is more expensive, though.

Gaffers tape is expensive, but the cleanup is nil. Always a good thing to have around. I would use that, if you coat the whole posterboard surface with gaffers tape you may get more usage out of it during a rainy period.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #19
Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried Poster Board or Duct Tape?

Gorilla brand tape is very tough and lasted on my HUGE protege grill(about 14x30 inches) going 80+ just for example. i never got it wet tho. Blue painters tape is great for testing stuff. it doesnt have much stick but it will last a little while at highway speeds and wont gunkify your paint. Clear packing tape makes a nasty mess when you take it off. just my experience!

HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote