Automatic vent idea - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Lightbulb Automatic vent idea

What do you guys think about this automatic vent as a grill block?http://heating-and-cooling.hardwares...ign=googlebase.

holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I think it would look funny.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

as soon as i got some more time on my hands i plan to start building an automatic grillblock.

the shown vent might work but it would depend on where the temp is monitored...if it's not in the cooling water and at the right temps you'd loose a lot of eficiency... on the other hand it does provide a workable plug and play solution that doens't require much aditional work.

i plan to use a small electric motor to controle the door, wich opens /closes when the fan comes on... not perfect, but i hope it will prove buildable and usable in practice... one i got something that works i can improve it

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Nice idea, I was thinking of using regular vents with a cable linkage, but those sound much easier. Would probably want three in a row.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I think it would look funny.
I'm getting the impression that people on this site generally don't give a crap if something looks 'funny'.

(I wish I was so carefree. I hate to be laughed at.)

As far as your idea, I think it's a great idea. I was looking at mini blinds for ideas and noticed that there is quite a bit of travel to close them.
Using a register instead is a clever way to solve the problem !
Thanks for the idea ! I think I'll try it myself.

I would spray paint them flat black so it wouldn't look too tacky.

Thanks again for the idea !
Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

I notice these vents are temperature controlled. Cool !
I wonder if they could be modified to open when the electric fan kicks in.
Also they are cheap too !
Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerds laugh at me View Post
I notice these vents are temperature controlled. Cool !
I wonder if they could be modified to open when the electric fan kicks in.
Also they are cheap too !
Fan activated vent http://www.dimmerdirect.com/Automati...B001AH8HL6.htm
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
That vent is gravity operated, and only works one way. If you reversed it, it would open whenever you moved the car from the air pressure entering the grille.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

here's what i plan to build for my car...it'll go on the top grill but if it works successfull i might try the lower grill as well.

i'l not sure about the setup for the door yet, maybe a slider will work better, but the prinsyple remains the same.

i plan to use a small motor from either an old walkman or a computer fan, the walkman motor seems to have the most torque. old toys and machines seem to be a good source for little electro motors.

the hatch itself will press on a switch at either side of its travle to indicate it's position, if the hatch should move to any position in between the motor will take it to the appropriate position again. of course mechanicly it should be set up to prevent flutter, but the system should calibrate itself.

i don't know if this will prove workable in practice but in theory i think it's pretty sound

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hmmmm maybe I'll do two sliding baffles, remotely operated, with a meshing zig-zag join/opening between them.... then when those people who can't drive pull out of the acceleration lane at 35mph when they still have 300 yards of it left and make me waste all my momentum, Marvin can make chomping gestures at them.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote