Basjoos Top Speed - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Basjoos Top Speed

Just wondering how fast Basjoos can go with that beast of his. Trying to think terms of hp needed how fast and fuel economy at high speeds. If anyone could throw me numbers that would be sweet thanks so much!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

also remember the reason for his radical styling is to reduce drag which, at higher speeds, is more a hendrance to top speed than weight.

I would assume that his honda would be capable of a higher speed than a similar civic without the aero mods.

a friend of mine has a hayabusa motorcycle and has comented that the T-rex trike actually has a higher top speed regardless of the extra weight due to the aero. I don't know if this is true (you know, second hand info) but if it is, it would go along with what I have said. also with the hayabusa, I think the top speed is somewhere around 160-200 mph.

also realize that basjoos didn't get those MPG numbers by running triple digit speeds.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Just found it very interesting of a vehicle especially with the ridiculously low drag. Just gotta wonder how little horsepower he needs to push that thing around at speeds. Also I don't know about you guys but mabye we could try to hit basjoos up for one of those aero kits, wink wink hint hint basjoos.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Registered Member

you may actually have better luck finding him on ecomodder. I think he stays on that one more than on this site.

also, he lives in the great state of South Carolina which has no annual inspection so he can get away with more of the mods than most of us.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
How does he have that thing put together? I imagine his top speed might be the speed at which his aero mods start breaking off, since they weren't designed or built for high speed...
Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

hmmmm... looks pretty solid to me: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....4110#post74110
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Definitely very well crafted.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've had it up to 100mph so far without problems. At this speed it still has plenty of power (the wind load doesn't start to be noticable until I get over 90mph). With the original body shape, the current 103hp motor was struggling to maintain this speed and the original CX motor (70hp) maxed out at 94mph. At the time I was originally doing these mods, someone on this board plugged my specs (Cd, HP, gearing, weight, etc.) into some automotive racing calculator and came up with a calculated top speed of 140mph. I'm not in any hurry to confirm those figures (especially not on a public highway) since my main emphasis is FE. The increased high speed performance is just a fringe benefit of the drag reduction program. Acceleration in the 70-90 mph range is MUCH improved over stock. Of course the low-drag German Autobahn cars of the 1930's that I studied when designing my car were following the opposite course, going after increased max speed, with improved FE as a fringe benefit.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

Federal CD requirements would provide immediate increases in overall efficiency, followed by smaller engines that could do the job, because work loads would be lower overall for all operational ranges.

The Mercedes model with a .19 CD would allow my VX to use almost 25% less energy to travel the same distance at speeds just under 70 MPH (assuming same frontal area). Drafting has confirmed this to be fact, and the lean burn engine in the VX would keep BSFC low at lower engine loads where normal engine efifciencies drop off, which offsets aero gains to a certain degree.

When you get to the point that has been achieved by Basjoos with his aero improvements, the benefits of other improvements become exponentially greater as well.

In my opinion much has been lost with the recent trend towards taller cars, with correspondingly greater frontal area. I also believe this is a direct result of the drivers of smaller cars wanting better visibility when surrounded by SUVs that literally dwarf them in size.

A ludricous and unnecessary height race that cost us dearly.

regards
gary
Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

LOL Basjoos you should hypermile more often.

Last gas log entry 99.1 MPG.

Amazing!!!

regards
gary