Bellypan and Ventilation Idea - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyes View Post
The water pump is engine driven and is turning all of the time no matter what. If anything, a hotter engine would result in less water pump drag because the thermostat would be open, resulting in less resistance to flow and less power being drawn by the pump.

Cooler underhood temps will help anything rubber or plastic live longer though.

Well, maybe not--even though the water pump is turning all the time, the load imposed on it by pumping through the radiator is probably greater than if only just the coolant in the engine. In other words, with the T-stat open the pump has a significantly greater mass of coolant to move, over a greater distance and in a draggier pathway.

I agree that cooler underhood temps are better for most things that reside there, especially rubber or plastic.

GasSavers_Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post

Fortunately, my cars have stainless steel exhaust plumbing, so corrosion from exhaust wrap retaining moisture would not be a problem. Besides, not that much external moisture would be in contact with the exhaust system if an undertray were installed on the car.
Just be sure your wrap material does not contain any chlorides. I've seen plenty of insulated stainless tubing destroyed by improper insulation.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

yeah actually road salt will make a mess of SS, so if a vehicle is winter driven, you can't be complacent about SS under wrap.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Well, maybe not--even though the water pump is turning all the time, the load imposed on it by pumping through the radiator is probably greater than if only just the coolant in the engine. In other words, with the T-stat open the pump has a significantly greater mass of coolant to move, over a greater distance and in a draggier pathway.

I agree that cooler underhood temps are better for most things that reside there, especially rubber or plastic.
wrong about pumping resistance. when the thermostat is closed, the pump has to get x volume through the bypass hose. when the thermostat is open, the pump has to get x volume through the bypass hose AND radiator. more/larger path with the same volume=less pressure/load
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bbasso
If you are worried about heat from the exhaust, try getting it coated. Something like, high heat ceramic coating. http://www.hpcoatings.com/default.aspx I have no experience with this link- just used it as a reference for those who did not know what I was talking about.