Bluey II - ideas for aero mods? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Team GasMisers5!

Bluey II - ideas for aero mods?

OK, I now live slightly further away from work, but am only using a little more fuel due to a better warm-up cycle meaning my town-driving part is fully warmed up.

I'm wanting to do some aero mods to my car, and have been thinking of the following:

What do you think? I'm thinking the front air-dam, front wheel deflector, moon discs (if I can get them), and rear wheel skirt should make a difference? I'm currently getting 28MPG mostly urban where I should get 19MPG according to EPA. In terms of speed, from time to time I go up to 62mph, and a fair amount of my travelling is at up to 50MPH, and the majority of the rest is about 35-45mph.

The picture of the rear of the car shows how I want the rear roof skirt to curve in in 3 dimensions like a true boat tail! This will be the last mod I do, I think, probably after an undertray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web_Bluey_II.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1059   Click image for larger version

Name:	web_Bluey_II_c.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1060   Click image for larger version

Name:	web_Bluey_II_d.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1061  

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

Looks good.

Think you're on the right track with that Kammback not meeting the trunk lip at the back. I've been reading about induced drag lately, and it appears wise to keep the lift vector due to cabin shape tilted forward.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

how about a panel that fairs the bumper to the start of the trunk. it could serve as a partial grillblock, and maybe could have a slideing hatch it you can't fully block the grill.

an open grill will lower the Cd of a car by about 0.02 so that's a big gain for a simple mod.

remove the mudflaps and see if you might trim them down and install then in front of the wheels.

next i see the car has gutters around the windows... mabe some smoothing there could work wonders.

wheel farings in front of the wheels seems like a good idea, and perhaps lower the airdam a bit. and seen how smooth you can make the underbody.

the bub caps don't seem to bad so i wouldn't make that a prioriy, but smoother is always better (maybe you can steal the ones from you car you where parked next to

as for the rear fairing maybe you could try to make it like this

seems to me like the air going over the car has a much easier path than what's going round it so perhaps this shape will pay more attentin to that while the air from the roof will fall off the edge (like with a naca intake or with VG's....)

but what you show looks pretty prommising

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here's a daft idea for you, see if there's any way you can remove the front bumper and flip it upside down... you might get a gap ahead of the wheelarch to fill, but I'm thinking it would bring the leading edge of the vehicle lower, reducing induced drag.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Team GasMisers5!

Just thought you should know... I bought myself some Black Duct-tape yesterday And the initial prototype aeromods will be going on prior to a long journey I have coming up.

I'm thinking... Proper grille block, Partial front undertray, mini rear wheel skirts (as far as I can go without touching the wheels). Maybe even small boat-tail if I dare

This is all before a long journey I have coming up... It will all get ripped off prior to Warrant-Of-Fitness in 2 weeks time anyway! (and then refitted with duct tape, and later with proper fittings). I also have found a source of polycarbonate plastic glass replacement, which I will use for my rear window when I make the extreme rear boat-tail

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote