Cardboard box + duct tape = - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike
90CivicStandard: how much you boosting??
None yet. I have 90% of the parts, but haven't started fabricating yet. I still have to rip my AC out, replace my radiator with a 1/2 sized radiator, hack up my cross member, etc.

Once I get everything installed I will be running 10psi.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
DRW
Registered Member

Nice grillblock, 90civicstandard. I have a similar 'grillblock' on my car. It doesn't hurt cruising mpg, but it makes me want to stomp on the GO pedal more often! 4x660cc injectors at WOT sure drain the tank quick Luckily I only go WOT for about 12 seconds at most.

How's that math work out? I think that's .528 liters of fuel in about 12 seconds. That's gonna hurt my average a bit....

Old 10-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

well went looking arounf the garage this evening and found some thin lightweight signboard (not coroplast) but wasn't quite long enough for the grill opening so went into my lil stroage room and found a nice 4'x8' sheet! noticed my cardboard was drooping and found one of the ties had loosened and grabbed a few twist ties ffrom work and pulled it tight again. will probly make a temp piece with the smaller one before the final cutting.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

Only 10 psi of boost?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig
Only 10 psi of boost?
Heck, I"m only boosting 7psi MAX with 10.4:1 compression ratio though haha
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #16
Registered Member

whoops, haha noooo, the town car is not boosted... yet... hehe

My Civic is though it's a 2000 Civic Si motor in a 1995 Coupe running E-42.5 (high octane)

The lincoln is being converted to MAF for better economy, and a side benefit is turbocharging it later will be very easy.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
Registered Member

I'm running 19.5 :1 compression. No throttle plate to restrict that, either.
Twenty-two pounds of boost at peak before the electronics step in and cut it back to 19 psi.
And my side mount intercooler is about 1/3 the size of the one in post #9.
Another two weekends like this past one and it should (finally) be on the road.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike
Grill block!

had the box to use for a rad block and still had plenty left over so an hour and a half later i have a crude grill block on "Lil Silver" now.

there still two small opening by the turn signals in middle and i'm hoping that maybe they will be enough. this is just a crude temp thingy to see if it'll help with getting up to temp and possibly run a lil warmer. I only have a 5.1 mile drive to work and it takes almost 2 miles till fully warm (180 range)

didn't have anything to use to fasten it so i folded some duct tape over onto itself and made my own ties and tied it off to the grill.

gonna carry flashlight, and box cutter in case i have to do some roadside mods. also i found i can turn ac on then off and fan will keep running. between that and the heater i will be fine.

The mods have started!
Attaboy!!LX. You can borrow my ski mask till you get something that looks better. After dealing with soggy carboard a number of times I found a 4X8 sheet of .090 solid plastic wall sheeting at Home Depot $20. This was enough to make my frontend block and rear fender skirts with extra to spare. I used duck tape right to the body to secure the parts. In my experience duct tape has not harmed the paint and is easy to remove and clean up. After taping the parts on I masked around the edge of the duct tape and sprayed tape and panels at once. I intend to devise permanent panels but for now they are much more presentable than before. Been on for 3 weeks in rain, mud and snow, still OK. See at my garage.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #19
Registered Member

well right now the cardboard will have to do.

i have it on the inside with some zip ties holding it onto the grill. was a quick way to get something on there without having to make it look nice.

around town once warmed up temps stay in mid 190's and get over 200 to nearly 210 when stopped at a light.

I don't know what thermostat is in my car. I'm thinking a 180 cause car seems to get up there then level off on my work trips but then i go to town and thats where it gets over 190 on the longer trip.

I'm going to tenn for thankgivingand once back will check out that wall sheething you use.

do you have a closeup pic of your front block my car is silver so the duct tape would blend in some and only be noticable closeup.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote