Cardboard box + duct tape = - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cardboard box + duct tape =

Grill block!

had the box to use for a rad block and still had plenty left over so an hour and a half later i have a crude grill block on "Lil Silver" now.

there still two small opening by the turn signals in middle and i'm hoping that maybe they will be enough. this is just a crude temp thingy to see if it'll help with getting up to temp and possibly run a lil warmer. I only have a 5.1 mile drive to work and it takes almost 2 miles till fully warm (180 range)

didn't have anything to use to fasten it so i folded some duct tape over onto itself and made my own ties and tied it off to the grill.

gonna carry flashlight, and box cutter in case i have to do some roadside mods. also i found i can turn ac on then off and fan will keep running. between that and the heater i will be fine.

The mods have started!

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
sweet...i cant wait to getting around to my 'necessary' modifications of aerodynamics
though i think i will skip the use of cardboard...

Old 10-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

It's a good time to put a grill block in because colder ait is on the way (Oh, I just saw you are from flordia. nevermind). It still helps in warm weather.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

cardboard rocks, it took three rainy days to take my upper grille block down, and i still have the original bottom part! Whoo!

best of all its FREE
Old 10-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
cardboard rocks, it took three rainy days to take my upper grille block down, and i still have the original bottom part! Whoo!

best of all its FREE
Coroplast you guys! nearly the same weight, (probobly lighter than wet cardboard) and it lasts forever! I just got a MONSTER of a cigarette advertisement for my car
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit
Coroplast you guys! nearly the same weight, (probobly lighter than wet cardboard) and it lasts forever! I just got a MONSTER of a cigarette advertisement for my car
if it work out with the cardboard then i'll end up using coroplast. especialy with the way it rains here in the summertime.

got caught behind some cars moving slow from a redlight and had to slow down whereas i usualy can make the light without slowing much. on way home seemed to warmup a bit quicker in slow speed driving (getting up to speed) and when i did get stopped and shut down on restart temp was a bit higher, but i'm gonna give it about a week or so of driving.

might end up having to use a partial rad block or underbelly pan between the bottom of the rad and the engine to get the full benefit.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

Most of my driving is a short 5 mile trip to and from work. car temp would be mid to low 180's and would climb a lil when stopped or slow moving.

today i went to the mall and got into some stop and go traffic and temp was nearly 220! that was a lil much so I turned heater on to get it down and found once moving about 30-35 mph was ok. the trip was about 10-15 miles.

I noticed that the instant mileage reading was showing a bit higher with the hotter temps and even the ait was showing higher too. temps here today are right around 70. air inlet temp was right around 90

those 5 mile work trips aren't getting the engine temp up, but not much else i can do. maybe block of the rad but then what about when i take longer trips??

Old 10-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike
Most of my driving is a short 5 mile trip to and from work. car temp would be mid to low 180's and would climb a lil when stopped or slow moving.

today i went to the mall and got into some stop and go traffic and temp was nearly 220! that was a lil much so I turned heater on to get it down and found once moving about 30-35 mph was ok. the trip was about 10-15 miles.

I noticed that the instant mileage reading was showing a bit higher with the hotter temps and even the ait was showing higher too. temps here today are right around 70. air inlet temp was right around 90

those 5 mile work trips aren't getting the engine temp up, but not much else i can do. maybe block of the rad but then what about when i take longer trips??
You can get a block heater.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Registered Member

Check out the grill block that I just picked up!

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
You can get a block heater.
forgot about that!

i'm gonna have to climb under neath and see if i can find the core plugs or a place to put on against the block

90CivicStandard: how much you boosting??