Cars with small grilles (lots of pictures) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

Bmw got some nice V8 and V10 (M3 and M5) that rev (for V8 and V10)

There are also the car of my buddy, Lewis Hamilton, that gets 19k rpm (maybe more) with a V10 , maybe u know him... anyway is richer then the hole gassavers community, X10 hahah richie rich.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
As I was finishing the post, I realized that every car was a GM. It was not my intention, though it doesn't displease me; I am a big fan and would be happy to approve that message. Still, since that was totally not my intention, I was hoping that someone else would ante up with some other brands, maybe the Hondas I saw but can't find online.

As for BMW having large high-revving engines...nobody has a problem with engines being capable of revving high; my issue is with requiring it to run 4000rpm just to keep up with highway traffic. I even hate my VW's 3000 highway rpm...

Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What other cars have little or no grille area?
VW Beetles, 411, Karmann Ghia, type 2 busses, squareback, and so forth.
Porsche 356, 912, older 911, etcetera.
Renault Dauphin, R8.
Fuller Dymaxion.
Tucker Torpedo (faux grille up front).
Intercity busses to date.
1903 Olds, Benz Patent Motorwagen, H. Ford's Quadricycle, Cugnot's war wagon....
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
Registered Member

I just wonder how much benefit there is by having small grills, but HUGE openings on the bottom of the bumper with big air dams.

an amazing grill area VS power
Old 11-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit View Post
I just wonder how much benefit there is by having small grills, but HUGE openings on the bottom of the bumper with big air dams.
None. All that does is move the grille down. That's why I didn't post any like that...I consider the lower grille every bit as much a "grille" as the upper.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Registered Member

red91,

isn't that a rear engine car? the grill (or cooling) is coming from the openings in front of the rear tires, not from the front grill.

the front lip is for down force so that it sticks to the road like glue.

I am not completely farmiliar with that car but I think that is how it is set up. those openings in the back could be for break cooling but I am pretty sure that it is rear (or mid) engine. it allows for better weight distribution.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
None. All that does is move the grille down. That's why I didn't post any like that...I consider the lower grille every bit as much a "grille" as the upper.
These examples do not have a "grill" but they do use air dams to create a grill like area on them. The area of their air dams that directs flow up, is roughly the same size as an equivelant cars grills. I have attached a few pictures to try and explain what I mean.

Here you can sort of see just how big the air dam is on the Impala.

This one you can see where the (also quite large) air dam stops right at the bottom of the radiator.

The firebird/camaro/transam have suprisingly small air intakes for the size of their engines (granted back in the day they weren't very stressed, at all)

and yeah about the car there, it's really not a good example when I think about it. It grill is just located further back haha.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bbasso
On the bottom of the camaro and most GM cars there is that big black air dam/redirector. Years ago one of my freinds chopped it off cause it was bottoming out in his driveway... Shortly after his car started to over heat.

If that's not saying how much air is being moved by that piece... mucho air resistance. So medium size openings might have better or less resistance.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

The NC Miata had a small grill

But the refreshed model has a big ugly gaping grin

winkosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote