Chevy Express van mirror more arerodynamic - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Chevy Express van mirror more arerodynamic

Have a 2000 Chevy Express Van. Has anyone ever done anything with the mirrors to make them more arerodynamic. I thought about putting a cone made of metal flashing on them to send the air around them. I wanted to get any ideas here b-4 diving in. I haven't had much experience at this yet.
Last year when I put new tires on it cut mileage 3 per gal. I just put new tires the same style as before on it on Fri.
Thanks
Tim

77tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
When I've asked about mirrors on my pickup, it has been suggested that (quite counterinuitively) removing them or giving them better fairings would actually make my drag worse. I cannot understand how.

Take a look at the PDF linked in this post:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....0465#post40465
I wonder if the same strategies used at the rear end of big trucks in those experiments would help with mirrors? In that thread, there's this suggestion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
if you've got a square shape, and no boattailing, rounded rear corners are better.
Perhaps some kind of rounded corners on the back (as in, the shiny side) would help.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77tek View Post
Have a 2000 Chevy Express Van. Has anyone ever done anything with the mirrors to make them more arerodynamic. I thought about putting a cone made of metal flashing on them to send the air around them. I wanted to get any ideas here b-4 diving in. I haven't had much experience at this yet.
Last year when I put new tires on it cut mileage 3 per gal. I just put new tires the same style as before on it on Fri.
Thanks
Tim
I mean putting the cones on the front of the mirrors breaking the wind as you go.
77tek is offline   Reply With Quote