Completed Wheel Well Covers - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
Registered Member

How about calling them "Wheel Kilts"...sounds a bit tougher. Now if you lower your truck 1" or so, you would really get some MPG gains.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post

It looks like you got the coroplast to flex to a compound curve? Details?
With the crossbraces on the rounded aluminum frame, the attaching of the choroplast to the frame created the compound curves. I think it would have been more difficult to put the cross braces on the choroplast first -although it would allow for easier 1 step removal as you said.

I also went ahead and added the wheel covers themselves - since they go hand in hand with the well covers... ok - no more changes before the next long trip...

I hear brake heat can be a problem with wheel covers like this - how do you know if its getting too hot? are there symptoms? or sudden braking failure? or...something else? Thanks!

jeffreymccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #23
Registered Member

Did you make the wheel covers too?

I'm thinking your skirts are going to make a better than average improvement on your truck vs. the average car.

A major characteristic that should dictate skirt effectiveness is the tire/wheel arch gap; the larger the gap the bigger the potential improvement from adding a skirt.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
Registered Member

Yeah, made the wheel covers this morning - couple of hours work with left over choroplast and black rust-o-leum paint. Used double-sided edging tape to hold them on at the center and edges of the wheel. Black duct tape covers the air valve hole.

I was commenting on that same thing today to my wife - that the covers should make a bigger difference on the huge gaping hole of the truck than it would on a tighter fitted car's well. Most trucks have a huge opening there, that appears to me to act as a big parachute.

Gonna go do some preliminary testing on the test route I have - but the big indicator to me will be next weeks travel between NC & MD.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
*shrug*

The covers look pretty good...you'll have some crazy steal truck in no time.

I think lovemysan did brake temp experiments back in the day with his fully covered rims, so search around a bit.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #26
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
The covers look pretty good...you'll have some crazy steal truck in no time.

I think lovemysan did brake temp experiments back in the day with his fully covered rims, so search around a bit.
Nope, wasn't me. Although I drove through the smokey mountains with no ill affects a month ago. Unless you're hauling over 1000lbs I wouldn't worry. I think the front wheel covers would be the first thing to cause a problem. If I ever try to autocross the GW I might find the limit of cooling for the rear brakes on mine.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #27
Registered Member

Crazy steel truck - that'll be fun.

Test route = out bypass highway with stoplights (45-55 mph) / out interstate to 1st exit (70 mph) / back interstate to 1st exit (65 mph) / back bypass highway with stoplights (45-55 mph)

Previously, without the covers, my test run yielded:

20.4 / 22.5 / 20.5 / 20.6

Today with covers:
23.6 / 22.6 / 20.6 / 23.7

I did not do a-b-a testing - as I dont want to take the time. I realize that there are certainly differences between the environment today from 2 weeks ago when the previous results were recorded. However it is interesting to me that the highway mpg is almost identical 65-70 mph, while the two runs at 45-55 yielded a 3.1 mpg gain each. 3.1 MPG GAIN is huge in my estimation.

Again - I will reserve final judgement for the trip to baltimore next week, but this is encouraging data.

Thanks SVOboy - Ill search the forums for that.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Well, I'm not so sure, but I think a lot of it has to do with the wheels, particularly how much air they suck in and all that. I know for bikes the inside of the wheels pose lots of drag, but of course that's different, I was just excited to learn it.

Another source of drag is just plain old how far the wheels stick out under the vehicle. I'm not the best person to really answer the question though.
very interesting. my wheels(rims) have a very smooth surface(flush with tire and no mags or plastic cover to drag). perhaps this is to my advantage. thank you for your frankness(not knowing).
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
How about calling them "Wheel Kilts"...sounds a bit tougher. Now if you lower your truck 1" or so, you would really get some MPG gains.
A rose by any other name....

----
looks good

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote