considering rear turbulence management - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Here is a good site with lots of things to try.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...ency_Retrofits

GasSavers_Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
Has anyone tried the chemical coating one can put on teh rear of a vehicle to reduce air resistance?

http://www.slipstreamfs.com/
I usually don't click links posted by new users since they're almost always spam, but you seem to have posted some other more normal messages. However, that site appears to completely lack even any marketing claims, let alone any science. All it says is that it helps, it doesn't even say how much it helps, let alone HOW it helps. It says stuff about being based on NASA's boattail research...which is total nonsense for anything applied as a liquid, unless it's a magic paint that shapes itself as a boattail and includes hinges and a latch so you can still access the vehicle's rear end...

Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
Has anyone tried the chemical coating one can put on teh rear of a vehicle to reduce air resistance?

http://www.slipstreamfs.com/
I'm always skeptical of products that are not shown or explained.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

Yeah well I did read about the slipstream product some where else that is how I came to the link. It appratently works best for vans and vehicles that have larger back ends. looks to me its just a wax or something that makes the surface extra slick. I certainly was not spamming as I have no connection with the outfit. I was planning on trying it on my car at some point in the future and just wondered if anyone had tried it. I think I got the link off the page that had to do with the vortex airfoil somewhere I can't find anymore, that they were putting on top of vans at the back and getting pretty good improvement in mileage. It uses the rear turbulence to push the car forward.

http://pesn.com/2005/03/08/6900067_RamWingUpdate/
Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I usually don't click links posted by new users since they're almost always spam, but you seem to have posted some other more normal messages. However, that site appears to completely lack even any marketing claims, let alone any science. All it says is that it helps, it doesn't even say how much it helps, let alone HOW it helps. It says stuff about being based on NASA's boattail research...which is total nonsense for anything applied as a liquid, unless it's a magic paint that shapes itself as a boattail and includes hinges and a latch so you can still access the vehicle's rear end...
Well I certainly am not a spammer. I moderate a few groups myself and am intolerant of people that join just to spam also. So I can see your concern.
I did a search in google on the term "slipstream coating" and only thing I found was a PDF file where they did some tests on semi trucks with the stuff and that was years ago. If it was valid testing then they did get some results. I don't think the stuff is sold to the regular consumer much. I was just one of those odd things I ran across in my daily hours of sercrhing the net.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #16

I could just wash the car after all 1/8 inch of crud can't help aero

I had to remove the skirts and airdam due to damage. I noticed a clever thing the engine transmission and crossmember form one smooth panel. So I'm going to see if having no airdam or skirts is any different than having them. I have a hunch it will be worse but we will see.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #17

no air dam or side skirts makes a huge difference. I apparently was not improving my aero by having a large airdam. my milage in town driving has been in the mid to high 20s before but now I'm seeing low to mid 30s in town. I can't wait to see what highway will be like.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #18
Registered Member

Does that car really only weigh 3000lbs? That's cool.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #19

yep it's a huge beast and having just a 2.2 to haul it around it's a wonder it gets the milage it's currently getting.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
yep it's a huge beast and having just a 2.2 to haul it around it's a wonder it gets the milage it's currently getting.
Fun car with the 3.0L - great highway motor - horrible on maintenence

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote