coroplast wheel covers ??? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

coroplast wheel covers ???

I have an idea to cover my alloy wheels with coroplast. Just cut the circle and make opening for air valve. I want to make them look like aerodynamic honda insight wheels. Guys, what do you think about this ?

holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Supporting Member

holypaulie -

I like the idea because of the very low weight. How would you fasten them? I was thinking for a test, maybe some strategic zip ties going through the coroplast. But, the more I think of it, that would probably tear the coroplast because the coroplast will be experiencing "constant rotational acceleration" instead of the simpler "straight line" forces that a belly pan feels.

Hmmmmmm, you made me think. My alloys are "flat with holes". I wonder if I should try the infamous duct tape? There wouldn't be any paint damage because it's an alloy rim.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

Oh no !

That would really make your car look tacky.

I would just go to the salvage yard and buy some cheapo hub caps the size of your wheels.

I notice a lot of early and mid eighties cars had hub caps that were flush with the wheel.

I would just buy hub caps that are as flush as possible.

Even 'moon' wheels that everyone uses at Bonneville are not totally flush and protrude some increasing the frontal area of the wheel.

( I'm not sure if it matters at all, but I have to wonder. )
Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
holypaulie -

I like the idea because of the very low weight. How would you fasten them? I was thinking for a test, maybe some strategic zip ties going through the coroplast. But, the more I think of it, that would probably tear the coroplast because the coroplast will be experiencing "constant rotational acceleration" instead of the simpler "straight line" forces that a belly pan feels.

Hmmmmmm, you made me think. My alloys are "flat with holes". I wonder if I should try the infamous duct tape? There wouldn't be any paint damage because it's an alloy rim.

CarloSW2
I could fasten them with tine self-tapping screw with washer
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

I was thinking hot glue, but the double sided tape would be good, too, I think. I like that stuff. Stick them on and rub it in well, and then let it rest overnight before driving to get maximum stickage...