Corrupt Commish - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Corrupt Commish

Yep, busted.

Short Story: No front plate, got pulled over.

Unabridged Version: On the way home from work on I-470, an Officer had a "customer" pulled over, so I squeezed into the center lane per MO State Law. Speed 63-ish/65 Limit. Merged back to the right lane after passing by.

Then he flies up behind me, hits the lights and I pull over. I was a bit confused, but anyway. He explained that he pulled me over for no front plate...

MO State Police. Then the barrage of questions began. First he pointed to the HAM radio (about the size of a CB, built into the radio console), and I explained that I do storm spotting and volunteer emergency communications, etc. Best quote, "HAM radios I remember are as big as a TV". I showed him my other handheld field model as "proof", but then he became interested in the SG.

I was like, "Oh that's the Scan Gauge -- it tells me exact speed, miles per gallon, intake air, trouble codes -- helps with fuel economy". He became bored with it, so I told him the plate was with the spare tire in the hatch. I went and showed him, then he questioned the antennas for the radio system -- offered to show him my radio license -- geez!

He ran my license/plates, came back, and told me to install the front plate and Drive Safely -- no citation.

So being the Holiday Weekend, he had someone else pulled over moments later.

I've gotten away with it for about 2 years -- Kansas didn't require it and MO does, so it was a change -- I need to figure a way to do a grille block with it or something -- but it has to stay (I made the rule to put it on after the first warning/citiation). So much for aerodynamics.

RH77/KCØWPM

Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
FE nut

:waves index finger and clicks tounge:

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Plate Light

I'm thinking the aero should take a tiny hit -- probably no biggie.

Regarding the rear plate, I know nearly all States require a rear license plate light -- so that may be where they're coming from -- as long as it's illuminated at night.

-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Your aero will be fine.

I also had a plate situation yesterday- smashed the rear bumper on Brutus so I took it off (hey- aero test- taking parts off truck!). The plate mounts to it so, deciding to be pro-active for a change, I called the city cops and asked it putting the plate in the rear window was OK? They said they didn't care but the Highway Patrol is stricter so I should ask them. I called them and asked what I had to do to stay out of trouble and they said no to the window, it has to be securely mounted in the proper location. I really don't like getting pulled over so I fabbed up a mount for use until the bumper gets replaced.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #4

Lighted rear plate is a must.
I've noticed many 4x4 off road styled trucks with no rear bumper at all and plates either in rear window or tailgate mounted ,with a vanity style non-license front plate ....and they *seem* to be within the law . Make that a car and you're gonna get pulled over/ticketed eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I'm thinking the aero should take a tiny hit -- probably no biggie.

Regarding the rear plate, I know nearly all States require a rear license plate light -- so that may be where they're coming from -- as long as it's illuminated at night.

-R
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

I plan to move my front plate upwards a couple inches where it will be in a better position.

In the junkyard earlier this week I noticed that most newer cars simply have four holes that mounting screws go into so there's not as much chance to move the plate. Mine however uses a mount bracket. Should be pretty easy to remount it a little higher up. Worth a look if your car uses a bracket.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Supporting Member

yup got pulled over twice in one day this week. i wasent driveing eather time but i was in the car. the first time was for no plate on front also and the 2nd was for not stoping all the way at a stop sighn.

the first one was funny because he was looking for speeders in my friends neighborhood and as he was pulling us over we went into my friends driveway. the cop seemed uncomfortable because he was siting in somones driveway lecturing about some plate.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Generally when pigs pull me over, I get alot of ****. They see a damn long hair, then demand to search my car for no reason. They they question me about the green anarchy flag in my window. They don't generally know what it is, so I don't have to mention exactly what it is. Then my radiator fan with a broken bearing comes on and makes alot of noise, and they think that the car is going to blow up or something. After confusing the hell out of them for a while, they end up getting aggravated and leaving.

I've learned that if you're a kiss *** to a cop, they'll walk all over you. If you're nasty to a pig, they'll give you the maximum ticket even if you didn't do anything. What I learned at a protest in Key Biscayne is that pigs are very stupid creatures and that if you confuse them enough, they'll go away.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Guilty - and punished - here.

I somehow lost my front plate last fall when I was making my grille block. I have no idea.

Anyway, I figured no biggie, I rarely draw attention to myself. Drove for 6 mos with no prob., then happened to drive into a safety blitz type of dragnet a few weeks back, where the cops were stopping every car on a "no escape" stretch of 2 lane road and issuing tickets for every possible infraction.

I was busted to the tune of $110.

Still haven't replaced it. It might be somewhere in the garage, and I haven't done spring cleaning yet...
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Tuggin at the surly bonds

You really should put that plate back on the front of your car. It makes it so much easier for the cops to know who they're pulling over.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
You really should put that plate back on the front of your car. It makes it so much easier for the cops to know who they're pulling over.
True ! LOL and if you are in a "catastrophic" accident they can "more easily Identify the dead "??? Yeah Ok ticket me then ! ....

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote