*shrug*

Did you caulk up the front

Did you caulk up the front stuff?

Anyway, I love the look of your area,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #42
Registered Member

Looks good! did you caulk

Looks good! did you caulk up by the hood and between the lights?

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #43
Registered Member

I caulked all of the open

I caulked all of the open seams on the front and sides of the car. Then after the caulk had dried, I took a razor blade and cut a line through the caulk beads that went around things that I need to open (doors, hood, gas tank lid). All of these little bits of drag reduction add up to a noticeable result. With all of these aerodynamic improvements that I have made on my car, I'm seeing a great improvement in coasting ability and this current tank's MPG looks to be a significant improvement over any of my earlier ones. I have 231 miles on the trip odometer with still over 3/4 of a tank.

I live in a bamboo jungle.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #44
*shrug*

You're kidding me, what an

You're kidding me, what an awesome area!!!

Oh yeah, good tank too.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #45
Registered Member

Can you tell me more about

Can you tell me more about your last tank? Speed, trip length/time? Temps? 72 MPG is beyond my reach at the moment. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #46
Registered Member

On that 72MPG tank: 2 trips

On that 72MPG tank:

2 trips from Marietta, SC to Weaverville, NC (52 miles, about 1 hr drive time, temps 40's F) at 5AM. Since there is little traffic on the interstates I would cruise at 50MPH when no traffic was nearby and speed up to 55MPH when other traffic was close to reduce the speed differential.

2 trips from Weaverville NC to Marietta, SC (52 miles, about 1 hour drive time, temps 70's F)) at 6PM. Since the roads are busy at this time of day I cruise at the speed limit (varies from 55 to 65MPH)

1 trip from Marietta, SC to Greenwood, SC (71 miles, 1.5 hours) at 11AM. This trip is all on lightly-travelled back roads (speed limit varies from 35 to 55MPH (temps 70's). I try to cruise at 45MPH unless other traffic gets behind me in the 55MPH zone, then I will go at 55MPH.

1 trip from Greenwood, SC to Marietta, SC, same time and conditions as above, temps 80's F.

On all of these trips I do as much engine-off coasting as I can manage and will let my speed drift down to 32MPH (the minimum speed I can handle in 5th gear) if traffic will allow before clutch starting the engine. Also drive with load if there is no traffic behind me and partially drive with load if there is traffic behind me. Also do what I can to minimize the electrical load (use ram pressure for air ventilation rather than run the vent fan, although I do run the radio).

Krousdb, you need to get that CX transmission installed, there is no way that I could drive at 25MPH in 5th with my transmission that way you can do with yours. I'm sure that lower CX gear ratio would do wonders for raising your MPG's.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #47
*shrug*

Quote:Krousdb, you need to

Quote:
Krousdb, you need to get that CX transmission installed, there is no way that I could drive at 25MPH in 5th with my transmission that way you can do with yours. I'm sure that lower CX gear ratio would do wonders for raising your MPG's.
He'll get it in as soon as I get a call back from my damn source on it,

I need to buy other parts from that guy, so he should hurry up!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #48
Registered Member

Re: Quote:Krousdb, you need to

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
He'll get it in as soon as I get a call back from my damn source on it,

I need to buy other parts from that guy, so he should hurry up!
Thats what I like about this site. People helpin people. Basjoos is a class act for suggesting that considering that I am on his tail. Great aero mods that he shares with us also. And that SVOboy, I dont understand his motivation to help a total stranger but, hey, I need all the help I can get.!

I hope I can give back as much as I have received here. Blush...

Oh, SVO, any leads on the CX head? Might be nice to the the whole CX conversion this July.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #49
*shrug*

He's still not returning

He's still not returning calls, might be gone for the holiday, as far as the head, it's mine,

I'm going to slap it on because it sucks having the airflow messed up due to my mismatched ports. I'll find you another though.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #50
Registered Member

So I looked at my HX wheels

So I looked at my HX wheels today to figure out the wheel cover thing. But it seems that the lugnuts stick out way too far. They are over 1.25" long and protrude past the plane that the wheel cover would go. Does anyone have a set of shorty lug nuts laying around? Even then I would have to cut a notch for the wheel weights and valve stem. And yes, when I had the tires balanced I asked for aluminum wheel weights. Those lead ones are heavy!