Extended air dam? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I haven't been pulled over in 23 years. I guess Im just lucky.
people get pulled over here so often that traffic schools give them discounts when they come back.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Registered Member

I think I have mentioned this before but you should move to another state. You complain so much about California, its a wonder that anyone still lives there.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
well here you'll get pulled over quick even sometimes for no reason. So it's good to have stuff hidden or else there will be a mess of tickets
Like the gun and the dead body? Or perhaps the crack and the little pipes...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I agree that keeping you car clean is a good idea, both to keep the cops for bothering you, altho I did drive 7,000 miles acrose country, and back with the front of my red crx ductaped together after hitting a pole a few weeks befor I started the trip, and no cops seemed to notice that the whole front of my car was duct tape, however I did have a few friends question how safe it was to ride in.
I've had a fair number of people comment on how much they like how my car looks, small spots of rust and all, then I say something about "and it gets 50+mpg" and their jaw drops, some people care about image, and if they have a choice of getting better mileage and looking like a dork, or getting poor mileage in a clean looking car, then that explanes why some people shop for new cars by what color they are, that is why the first mods I do tend to keep my car looking "normal", it's then going to be more appealing to the public.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

I personally favor performance but if the exterior is stock you'll get less attention.

I also favor fuel economy over looks but why not have both. All my mods are as effective as they can be even though they are hidden.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
An undertray is much better and eliminates the need for an air dam, which is why I'll be using the undertray,
I think you're right. I added an airdam that extended down to 4" off the ground. FE acutally dropped by almost 1 MPG. So I started cutting the center out of the airdam to where the dam is basicly covering the wheel portion of the car. Showed a very slight increase in FE. I decided to leave it on there just because it looked better than previous one and it helps hold the belly pan on.

Glad I don't live in CA I be pulled over all the time because of my "Nerd Mobil".
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Like the gun and the dead body? Or perhaps the crack and the little pipes...
ROFL. That was a coffee out the nose moment!

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:52 AM   #18
Registered Member

I have a 2.5" lawn edging air dam. It sits about 2.9" off the ground.

It's been on for quite a while now (3+ years) and has taken a beating. Still looks decent (if you think lawn edging looks good at all ), but could use replacing.

The reason I'm posting is that maybe I can do some A-B-A testing when I go to replace it. I'll try to keep as much data about the testing as possible so that I can report back with some level of fidelity.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 AM   #19
Registered Member

My air dam extension just happened to end up about 5" off the ground...cause that's how wide it was. But it also happens to extend down about to the general ground clearance height under the car.

Hydrogenboost guy extended the dam down almost to the ground?

http://www.hydrogen-boost.com/May%202005.html

"I think it is quite easy to draw a conclusion about the air dam at both speeds. The air dam did not cause less drag and higher mileage. It indeed did quite the opposite. The air dam caused a lower mileage in all cases. This could be explained by the fact that it was causing quite a bit more wind resistance because of the increase frontal area of the vehicle with the air dam attached. Loses about -3.9% mpg at 55 mph..."

When I first put the vortex generators on the back of my car I had a couple of Deputies follow me for awhile in one town...they wanted to sell me some bubblegum?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #20
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
you have to find the balance between increasing your frontal area and reducing the air flow under the car. the real key is to have the air dam that doesnt change the frotal area at all and extends lower infront of the wheels. you have to remember, the air dam is not an aerodynamic shape at all, you need to have something behind it in order to deal with its wake.

a properly designed air dam and belly tray working together will give you the best increases. and there is a lot to think about while creating the air dam.