Extended air dam? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Extended air dam?

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/54197

"Quick thing to think about, The other day I went ahead and did the airdam mod to the front of the Iroc. (couldn't find an S-10 so used a Tahoe air dam).

The air dam atached to the underside of the front facia (bumper cover) and I've verified that it doesn't buckle under speed by having someone drive beside/in front while on the freeway. Ground clearance in front is now less by about 5 to 6 inches but shouldn't be a problem since car is not lowered any. Enough of the description of the mod now on with the question....I've got a factorg MPG economy gauge installed out of a lebaron which works fine. After the mod my avg MPG has raised another 2 mpg. (been using the car as a daily and trying different things out on it). Freeway average is now running in the 33 to 35 mpg on the gauge and verified with the gas fillups/checking mileage."

Using plastic lawn edging...I extended the from air dam down to around a 5" clearance. It is now around the same height as the majority of components under the car. Not sure I gained mpg though.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
*shrug*

An undertray is much better and eliminates the need for an air dam, which is why I'll be using the undertray,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, but air dams can look cool. Though I'm not certain about that lawn edging...that stuff looks bad on lawns.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

the best mods should remain hidden. Besides if they are hidden nobody will bother you, especially cops.

I removed the duct tape residue and now nobody pays attention to my bumper at all.

Look at the Ferrari F430. Everything is under the car.

If it's under the car and showing that's bad. You could get pulled over really fast. Metrompg did such a good job on his skirts that I doubt he will get pulled over because they look stock.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I had a thought today as well, what would happen if you only lowered the front end of a vehicle, by lets say one inch, that way the car would leavle out, insted of sit with it's nose in the air when you pile stuff in the trunk, I realize this wouldn't apply to those of you who can travle with an empty car, but I ralmost alwas have 100+ pounds of stuff in the back, and that stuff tends to stay there almost all the time, when I don't need that stuff, I don't normaly need to drive a whole car around.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Dunno why wheel skirts would get you pulled over.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Dunno why wheel skirts would get you pulled over.
because cops might think they might fly off. If they don't look like they belong on the car the cops will get suspecious.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
because cops might think they might fly off. If they don't look like they belong on the car the cops will get suspecious.
I dont think cops can pull you over because they think something is going to fly off. Only if something appears to by flying off. If you do it right, they wont fly off. I have had cops pass me while carrying 2x4's, pipes, plywood, matresses and many other things sticking out of the back or tied to the roof of my car. I have never been stopped.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Registered Member

well here you'll get pulled over quick even sometimes for no reason. So it's good to have stuff hidden or else there will be a mess of tickets

Old 06-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Registered Member

I haven't been pulled over in 23 years. I guess Im just lucky.