First big test! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

First big test!

It's the first big test of the new redesigned air dam, side skirts, grill blocker (thinking about taping over the driving lights), front canards and moving the bed cover supports since joining gassavers.org (Darn, I love this place)! Also cleaned the idle valve (oh, my idle is rock steady at 550 rpm now. I almost tried to start the truck at a light today.) and the air cleaner. Acetone is dialed in at 3.25 oz per 10 gallons. Of course as soon as I did that, the battery took a crapper. So Acetone in your gas tank will destroy your battery. $90.00 later, we have a new battery. Tomorrow, I'm off for the weekend to the shack to film another exciting episode of "This Old Shack" - I'm building a solid state generator for this episode and doing solar panels installations. I'm also going to start the solar boat project; totally solar powered.

The results so far. Old stuff is cold air intake, old air dam and old position of bed cover supports. Stock is with bed cover only:

EPA stock city (no cover): 14
Stock city: 18
Old stuff city: 19.5
New stuff city: 20.8 - 21.9
Coast down from 50 mph is much longer.

EPA stock highway (no cover): 20
Stock highway: 21.5
Old stuff highway: 22.5
New stuff highway: 26.5
Coast down from 65 is forever. Expecting this will help a lot on long trips.

I really, really, really hope to use 1/2 tank for each way (249 miles). That would be even better than my V6 Dakota. I might have the wife update my garage while I'm gone. I might even make some cardboard rear skirts (painted black of course with cryptic things like "EXP: 0043.21" on them to make people think I know what I'm doing) and duct tape them on.

Expected beer tally for the weekend: 749.3 not including lost or spilled cans.

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #2

Best of Luck ! Will be giddily awaiting the update vid !

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Supporting Member

niiiiiiiiiiice every time you update your info i rub it in my friends face ( he almost the same truck as yours)
Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Supporting Member

oh me too!!!!! i recycle so many cans its insane! all my friends save um for me
Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry, you can't have the cans. We use them for various solar projects and force projection around the shack.

Random thoughts......

I taped over the driving light bezels this morning with clear 3 inch tape. If it works I'll use plexi for a permanent cover.

Wondering if it's worth taping over where the hood meets the fenders. Thinking about sealing the gap between the bumper and the turn signals.

Making an appointment with therapist; may be getting too anal about smoothing the airflow with tape. Will probably have gassavers.org withdrawals. May take extra beer to get over it.

Double checked the bed cover with the table top under it and where I've mounted the supports. Should work to drive the air over the tailgate area.

Here's the extra weight that I carry to the shack:
  • 1 battery bank, 3 type 24 deep cycle batteries, 47 pounds each.
  • 5 gallons water (with gas prices it's probably a lot cheaper to buy the water in town once I get there).
  • Tools, figure 50 pounds.
  • 1 jerry can of gas, 6 gallons (used in generator and for topping off truck).
  • video equipment, 10 pounds.

About an extra 300 pounds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 05-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

LOL! That's very cool man. A true inspiration.

And BTW,

All your beer cans are belong to us.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dunlop View Post
LOL! That's very cool man. A true inspiration.

And BTW,

All your beer cans are belong to us.
The beer cans are 240 miles away right now. Feel free to pick up the $6.00 worth of them. Okay boys and girls I'm back and have my first report. I added clear tape to the openings around the headlights and over the driving lights. My goal is to be able to drive to the cabin (250.2 miles) on 1/2 tank (10 gallons). That part has been accomplished. With a high output 4.7 liter V8 in a truck no less.

Here's the facts and figures:

First leg, west, I-94 from Ann Arbor to Jackson, Michigan. 36.3 miles, speed 65 mph. Head wind 15 mph gusts to 25. Mileage with all mods, 23.9.

Second leg, North US 127 from Jackson, merge with I-75 to Gaylord. Cross wind, 15 mph gusts to 25. Mileage 25.2.

Third leg, South on I-75 from Gaylord, merge to US 127 to Jackson. I-94 East to Ann Arbor. Mileage 25.3.

Seat of the pants report:

The changes to the bed cover worked. I moved the rear support from 2/3 of the length of the bed to 9 inches before the tailgate. Added an old table top to the center of the bed under the cover. No more buffeting, in fact the front of the cover now sucks UP. This is a major change.

The first leg into the wind didn't effect the truck as much as it used to. Before the full mods, there would be a lot of buffeting. Now it was rock steady.

On the second leg, in the cross wind there is no more difficulty handling the truck. It used to be that it would move around the highway.

On the way back I did two experiments. I did this with the cruise control on set to 65 mph. I didn't shut the engine off and just hit "resume" for the second leg. First, after fueling I drove down the highway 25 miles to a rest stop with no Acetone added to the tank. Average mileage was 24.4. After stopping at a rest area I added the Acetone and drove an additional 25 miles. Average mileage was 25.3. This part of the highway (I-75) is hilly with curves. Both 25 mile segments have the same number of hills. Of course the weather conditions were the same.

I also discovered unlike the unmodified air dam and grill blockers that when I'm alone on the highway at 65, the instant mileage goes between 23 and 28. When I do 70, it goes between 23 and 28. I tried up to 78 mph before I noticed any drop off in the mileage.

In traffic, there is an astounding improvement. At 70 in a pack of cars, the instant mileage is 25 to 29 mpg. The vehicle is now very sensitive to airflow from other vehicles. I tried driving behind a Wal-Mart truck, mileage was 25 to 29 mpg. Behind a camper (full size, 5th wheel style) mileage was 24-29 mpg.

With these results, I feel that I could possibly break the elusive 30 mpg goal with the addition of rear wheel skirts, flat wheel covers and a larger canard on the front wheel well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 05-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #8

So there is hope that even a brick can get great FE ! The real proof will be in repeat /further improving FE . Good job ! Wheres the video ? Everyone else can fight over the cans ...
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
So there is hope that even a brick can get great FE ! The real proof will be in repeat /further improving FE . Good job ! Wheres the video ? Everyone else can fight over the cans ...
Come on! I just rolled into town an hour ago. These things take time. I'm starting the edit tomorrow night for Associated Content. I'll put links to scenes as I get them done. Wait till you see the rig I made for the camera! Beer tally, btw; 62 over 4 days. 3 "lost", 2 forgotten, 1 spilled. Still haven't found the good one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
Old 05-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Here's a little taste I whipped together. short video.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover