Geo Fender Flare Jelly Bean Advice please! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
Registered Member

Remember he added 14 inch rims.

The Swift GT (Metro) cars that came stock with 14's had additional body cladding & side skirts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Looking forward to seeing this one for sure, since I planned something similar.
As far as the tire clearance, it is fine now, but what about when you hit a bump ? I was going to make the lip on mine out of flexible rubber.
Looking good ( or...will look good when you're done that is )

Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
Registered Member

Really interesting! I've been contemplting something like that for my xB. I guess two observations. I agree the fairing should drop down to the air dam in front. I've been thinking of enhancing the flow out of the wheel well behind the wheel. Is there some advantage to more clearance after the wheel? Almost all the high-speed fendered cars have vents after the wheel opening or there's just no back to the wheel opening. Think of the Audi R10. Maybe just the front portion of the fairing would do the trick.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

if you go to grassroots motor sports and to a search on how to make fender flares you will find out how. there is a guy who did a set on his yugo and they look good. from what i saw they are not that hard. give it a try and see. that wood stuff looks a bit shoddy.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/hyde/flares.htm

did a search for you. you can make them as smooth as you want.
boofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
Really interesting! I've been contemplting something like that for my xB. I guess two observations. I agree the fairing should drop down to the air dam in front. I've been thinking of enhancing the flow out of the wheel well behind the wheel. Is there some advantage to more clearance after the wheel? Almost all the high-speed fendered cars have vents after the wheel opening or there's just no back to the wheel opening. Think of the Audi R10. Maybe just the front portion of the fairing would do the trick.
I've noticed that too. About the cut out. Also the Insight is made that way? On the Z-06 vette its not that noticeable, but there. On the Aero show cars, they seem to be done like I have it, as on the Precept. If it's for speed not very interested? If its aero would be a consideration. The facia will be brought down to the flare. Seems the benefits out way the added sq.inches to the front. Thanks for the glass tips. Going to search the Insight sites?
minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #16
Registered Member

The Insight's gently curved sides and wheelwells are also designed to minimize air turbulence. The plastic-resin front fenders extend downward below the centerline of the wheel and incorporate a small air dam in front of the wheel. To further minimize turbulence, the trailing edge of the wheelwell is inset and faired into the body. Disc-shaped aluminum wheels also help smooth airflow around the wheelwells.

This is a quote I found? Why isn't it better to just slide over the whole wheel.
The idea is to mimic old reliable but simplify that design. Which to my mind is very inventive.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
Registered Member

Front end experiment.

Worked on the fenders tonight. Took off the right side, good thing that it was removed need to do some sandblasting to the unibody. Thankfully its not to bad. Old fender is another story most of it is on the garage floor in the form of rust dust. The fender flare extension is on the new fender. After that took some time to close up the radiator opening. Used easily removed components incase problems arise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frt end.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	527  
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

Repair to rocker panel

Got started repairing the rocker panels. Took longer than expected doesn't it always! Found more peanuts hidden away by the mice 7 years ago. Car doesn't flex as bad now. Will begin boxing in the rockers in the AM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	564   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRACED.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	565  
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
Registered Member

Whew!!! Guess I kinda forgot how bad rust can be. We've been in Colorado many years now but lived in Illinois before. As bad as Michigan. I now remember that thinking about and planning rust repair was probably (no,surely) THE major concern on older cars. Well, you're digging in, getting started is a large part of getting it done.

Good luck, waiting to see it finished. CO ZX2
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #20
Registered Member

Why can't we buy cars with optional stainless steel frame, axles, etc.? I'm taking such good care of my drive train it's sure to last far longer than the frame here in Wisconsin. Answer: Most people WANT to change cars about every 5 years.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote