Getting Rid of Pop Up Headlamps! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassntime View Post
It has more to do with not being scared to try something new.
No, it's more than that...there's real skill involved there, and some less common tools/resources. I wish I had welding equipment and skill, for example.

As for your paint job, google around for how to do a really nice job on DIY car painting. It is possible. It's quite a bit of work (IIRC there's a lot of wet sanding involved) but people get great results.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

Very nice! I had your car's sister, an '88 Hondan Prelude, and it also delivered 30mpg + . I find it embarrasing that modern vehicles still can't match that old of technology. They really don't look aerodynamic either. Those sneaky buggers.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit View Post
Very nice! I had your car's sister, an '88 Hondan Prelude, and it also delivered 30mpg + . I find it embarrasing that modern vehicles still can't match that old of technology. They really don't look aerodynamic either. Those sneaky buggers.
true what about 80's (TPI)vettes the can run 13 sec. 1/4's and do 26-28 mpg on those wide azz tires
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
true what about 80's (TPI)vettes the can run 13 sec. 1/4's and do 26-28 mpg on those wide azz tires
How about my old 1980 Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon? I used to average 16 MPG in that car, and that was a 3 ton vehicle with a big block V-8 and a 4bbl carb - with a teenager driving it.... drag racing, burning the tires, seeing how fast I could get it to go... BTW, I don't know how fast that actually was, but it took about 10 seconds of me standing on the brakes before the speedometer needle even pulled off of 85. The guy I was chasing claimed he was going 110, and I was gaining on him quickly.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

Rustoleum Paint Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Those mods look sharp, and if you're looking for cheap instead of painting it by hand, why not do the $200 Maaco paint job? I know they're not the best, but they are certainly better than anything I can do at home by hand, or with cans of spraypaint.

-Jay
I didn't say I was going to use spray cans...I am going to get a gallon of whatever color and spray it on with a paint gun. You can roller it on too if you thin it with mineral spirits and sand between coats. Believe it? Check this link out,

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Scroll down the page to 69chargeryeehaa's posts and check his links. There is also a pic embedded a little farther down. It's been painted with a paint roller and rustoleum. You can't get a paint job at Maaco like that for $50!
Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassntime View Post
I didn't say I was going to use spray cans...I am going to get a gallon of whatever color and spray it on with a paint gun. You can roller it on too if you thin it with mineral spirits and sand between coats. Believe it? Check this link out,

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Scroll down the page to 69chargeryeehaa's posts and check his links. There is also a pic embedded a little farther down. It's been painted with a paint roller and rustoleum. You can't get a paint job at Maaco like that for $50!
Hmmm....I can see the Geo looking better already....

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
Registered Member

ROFL at catbus avitar

ANYHOO

those roll on paint jobs look amazing, spray on is just as good i think. but you can get an orange peel effect if you spray.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
ROFL at catbus avitar

ANYHOO

those roll on paint jobs look amazing, spray on is just as good i think. but you can get an orange peel effect if you spray.
I was thinking I will have to use thin coats and buff it too.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
Registered Member

i have a couple to use rustolum on
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
The car took a progressive slide downhill after that.
HAHAHAH!!! A progressive slide huh??

Oh sorry... I guess that is a disaster but common you phrased it pretty dam funny